Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

*FEELER* Late 60's early 70's Musicmaster parts

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by big evil robot, Aug 2, 2005.

1. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I've been trying to restore my girlfriends old Musicmaster bass, but I just don't have the time and she doesn't have any interest in bass (too busy with her piano).
    The neck is in amazing shape save that it needs a little fret redressing and a new nut. The tuners look their age but turn smoother than any tuning pegs I've dealt with in a while.

The majority of the rest of the bass is in pretty rough shape.

The body was "refinished" by the previous owner, apparently they sanded with with a nail file and then spray painted it black.
    I've sanded a lot of the black off and smoothed a lot of the rough sanding but it still needs a bunch of work. You can see the original finish was Olympic White. I'm afraid any original serial numbers or markings were obscured or destroyed by the original owner.
    The pickup and pots are pretty old and could use some TLC, a new cover for the p/up and a good cleaning for the pots.
    The pickup is DAMN LOUD by the way, easily double the output of my DM model J's(not kidding).
    The bridge is ok, but most of the screws are corroded badly. And the pickguard is pretty ugly.

I will consider offers for individual parts as well as the whole lot.
    The serial number from the neck plate is the only thing I have to eastimate the date of the instrument with.
    I will also take trade for any half decent parts to build a jazz bass with, or even a MIM/MIJ jazz.

Sorry, I don't have any pics right now, my camera is on loan to my folks for a week.

2. oshaughnessy

oshaughnessy

Jun 4, 2005
    Hi, big evil robot! I've been keeping my eye out for a Fender Musicmaster neck. I have an old Kay electric that has the same neck pocket size, but the neck is in awful shape and just about beyond repair. I'm not really sure what a MM neck is worth, but I'd be mighty interested in yours if you just want to sell that part. Can you describe it in a little more detail? Is it straight? Truss rod still work? Replacing the nut doesn't sound too hard.

Thanks.

3. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    straight, truss rod appears to be fine, though I haven't had any need to adjust it.
    Theres a few dings on the back, but they're all very small. The finish has darkened with age quite a bit.

4. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    I'd like to wait until I can post pictures before I do any price haggling. I think thats only fair.

5. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    I've done some research on the bass parts, the neck plate dates around 73, the pots are stamped 67, the neck has no SN which would match up with an early 70's bass.(I believe fender was inconsitant with their numbering then)

6. oshaughnessy

oshaughnessy

Jun 4, 2005
    Sure, that sounds fine. Would you mind listing the measurements
    of the neck pocket and the scale length, too? I'd like to double check that they're the same as what I'm looking for :^)

Thanks!

7. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I'd be interested in the pickgaurd but I'd like to see pics first. PM me when you get a chance, thanks, Jeff

8. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    The pickguard is pretty ugly. definately showing its age.
    I may be able to clean it up though.

9. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Well, my '71 is showing some age as well... if you could snap a picture in it's current state I'd appreciate it. I'll PM you with my email.

10. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    You'll have to wait until next week, my camera was loaned out to my folks for their holidays.

11. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    No problem, whenever you get a chance.

12. bryanonbass

bryanonbass

May 13, 2001
    Northern NJ
    a pm