1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Feeler sale threads?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by baba, Oct 18, 2010.

1. What exactly is the purpose of these? I see people list a bass for sale, with a price, and call it a feeler thread. Are they simply saying they may change their mind? If so, isn't that implied already by human nature?

I've always been confused with these. Someone clue me in.

2. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    DC
    I get the impression that when someone puts up a "feeler" thread, it is fair warning they may not sell the bass even if someone offers their asking price. In a regular thread with a bass for sale and an asking price posted, it would be sort of odd to tell the seller you want to pay their price for the bass and then have them tell you they aren't going to sell it.

Whenever I put up a feeler, though, I only put a bass up for trade. That way I'm just seeing what is out there, and have plenty of time to decide to trade or not trade. If I decide to sell the bass, I don't use the word feeler, ever. I think that's how it SHOULD be, but hey.

3. Yes, I get the Feeler trade. So someone is like, "Let me see what I can get in a trade, and pending that info I may do it."

I just don't get the Feeler sale thing when an actual price is listed. Maybe it is just a caveat that says I may change my mind, but I always assume that is always a given - a sale isn't a sale until both parties agree. Not sure if there is some other factor I'm missing here.

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The thing is though, I have seen plenty of people get wicked teed off if they (as a buyer) agree to pay the asking price and then the seller backs out. I've seen them freak out, in fact, calling the seller all kinds of names like liar, cheat, untrustworthy, snake, etc. etc. Even though no money changed hands!!!

So as unreasonable as those people are, they are part of the reason somebody may be tentative about selling even when they have a dollar amount listed.