1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Feeler: SX SPJ-62 w/ Upgrades

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by blendermassacre, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I got a thunderbird bass the other day, and even after finally finishing this bass, It just isn't what I want. I've put a bit of money as well as time in this bass. If I can't get out of it what I'm looking for, then I'll just keep it, or maybe part it out. Also keep in mind that rondo doesn't have any of these in any color, and the old headstock is gone.

Bass-$109 (plus about $27 in shipping)
    upgrades- Stew mac jazz wiring kit with alpha pots and orange cap- 18.99
    Hipshot Ultralights-$79.99
    Misc black parts (pickguard screws, string tree, oval jack, bridge cover, nut)-$40
    Straplocks (schaler)-$18
    So all of that is roughly $270 without tax or shipping.

This bass is in great condition. It's currently strung with fender 9050 light flats.

Now I'm Cash only. $235 Shipped.

Picture014-2.
    Picture015.
    Picture013-1.
    Picture012-1.

2. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Trade?

3. For the t40?

4. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    So are you just looking for something different? What don't you like about it?

5. Just something different. I've fallen in love with an epiphone thunderbird, and this just isn't what I'm wanting right now. Also I really love the Epiphone neck profile a lot more than this one. All in all, I wish I was more connected to this bass, but it's just not doing it for me.

6. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Understand that sometimes you just don't 'bond' even after all the work.

Good Luck.

7. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    When exactly does it hum? Is it a typical Jazz bass hum...when the controls aren't full on, or all the time.

Did the bass come with the jack that way or did you install it that way?

It looks kinda funky around the nut...is that light reflection or not? Kinda looks like putty. What kind of nut is it...and how do the strings fit in there? As well as the stock one?

Cheers,
    BT

8. The hum happens when the bridge pup is turned up (not all the way) and the tone is turned up (not all the way). It was like this straight from the factory, and I hoped the pot upgrade would help, but it's still there. It's really nothing more than the typical jazz bass hum, but it's still there and I wanted to be open.

The nut may look weird in the picture, but it's just fine. I ordered a pre slotted black tusq nut from bassguitarresource.com. (I broke one nut trying to make my own, so I figured if it fit, I would be happy).

As far as the input jack, the only thing I changed was the color of the jack. It came with a chrome jack, and I put a black one on. The location was just like that when it came.

The only routing I did was under the control plate, to accomodate for full sized alpha pots, as apposed to the mini pots they used from the factory. I did this with a dremel with a sander attachment.

Hope this helps.

9. Also, If there is interest. I'll put the SX chrome tuners back on and sell it for $170.

10. Paniconthenet

Paniconthenet

Aug 26, 2009
    Albany, GA
    You think all it needs is to be shielded? Im interested in it, but would be more so if it wasn't all black hardware, I have been looking for a white p to repaint shell pink....

11. N
    I am pretty sure shielding would kill the hum. Personally I think shell pink with black hardware would look awesome.

12. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    I think all the black hardware looks great. I'm thinkin of pullin the trigger.

Does it have more of a P neck or an J neck?

Cheers,
    BT

13. More of a P neck, but it's 1 5/8s nut.

14. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I already own the same bass-thanks very much for showing me what mine can look like if I go with all black hardware!! :) I've been thinking about doin' that ever since I got it and I only did the pickguard screws so far. I'm thinking about doing the string tree and tuners and leaving the control knobs and bridge chrome.

Also: +1 on the hum-the bridge pickup is a true single-coil so it definitely hums. I also plan on doing a shielding job at some point to see how much that will help.

15. Or,
    You could buy mine and save yourself the trouble.

16. hasn't come up yet, but I will take the hipshot's off and reinstall the sx tuners for $150 + shipping

17. Someone wants a purdy sx before the headstock change right?

18. Sold locally to tber jayhawk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.