1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Feeler: Trading/Sale DB750

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by chrisrhoads, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Well after running my Avalon u5 through the powersection of the DB750 I am thinking it is time for me to sell the DB750 and buy a DB659 and CA9. I really like the ability to just have a plethera of preamps to choose from. So here it is my Aguilar DB750 up for trade for a poweramp pre combo or just cash 1600. Ideally I am interested in a CA9 and a preamp of sorts

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm kind of glad I went the pre/power amp route as well.

I have a DB659/PLX3402, and finally got to test out a DB750 into an Aggy 410 and 212 at GC this weekend, and it totally blew me away.

It sounded really close to my pre/power setup, so, just lettin' ya know that you're not losing much after moving from the by-itself head unit. :)

However if that Aguilar endorsement ever came along, I'd be more than happy to have a road crew lug a few 750's around... ;)

3. J.T

J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    ENDORSING ARTIST: TOBIAS BASSES
    ANYHTING ELSE YOU MIGHT BE LOOKING FOR?

I WOULD REALLY BE INTERESTED IN THIS.

4. Hmmm send me a PM with your thoughts maybe we can work something out.

5. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Chris
    Let me through my 2 cents in.
    Just yesterday I did a little a/b ing of this exact gear through my NV215. The 659 is a bit different sounding than the DB750 for sure and some may say a lot but I didn't see that much difference. Now mind you, I have Telefunken NOS tubes in both of the Aggies. I even tried the 659 through the DB750 and I ended up liking the DB750 since it's SO close and would be more of a hassle to bring the 659 on a gig to run via the 750 power section. Plus, the DB750 by itself was louder. I've also noticed that my DB659 seems to have a lower output signal than many of my other preamps that I've owned. My Demeter 201S is WAY more. 659 sound great though just have to boost it more. And no, it's not the tubes. Same with all the others I tried in this pre.

Now the 659/CA9 is one great rig for sure, but it's a LOT heavier and more cumbersome to handle than my DB750. Even though the CA9 has endless headroom I have not run out with the DB750 and I have always had head room issue especially when I had my PLX2402 which choked on me a couple times when I really needed it like on outside venues. (Take that part with a 'gain of salt' because there are other factors envolved that could be different for your gear.)

Anyway it might be worth your while to try some different tubes before going through all that gear changing. My DB750's bottom end tightened up quite a bit after changing the V-1 gain socket with a Telefunken NOS Black Smooth Plate.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Not to highjack the thread or anything, but I think that's just an attribute of the Demeter- no other preamp I've ever had has the output gain like that thing does! My Aggy, and previous Eden, SansAmp, other pre's don't clip a power amp at 10:00 like the -201s... ;)

I had no problem w/ my 659's output this weekend.

7. Bump, anyone want to buy this beast? I have the original box for your shipping pleasure

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I've been around this track a few times, myself. I currently own both a CA-6 with an SVP-CL preamp AND a DB750. I agree with what the others have said about the CA-9 being heavier and harder to manage than the DB750, while still be about the same volume.

I've also had GREAT sounds running other preamps into the Preamp In on the DB750. Some people think it's unreasonable to treat Big Daddy as a $2000 power amp. But I think you get some great sounds out of it....

Still, I would also echo the fact that changing both the main gain tube as well as the Au7 to a JAN Philips 5814 made a HUGE difference in the sound of Big Daddy.