Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Feelin a breeze? speaker gurus?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Feb 16, 2002.

1. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey i have a question... when i play, i occasionally boost my lows and cut highs for a big, muddy, room-shaking noise. I like the sound but when i do this i can feel a breeze coming out of my cabinet. This isn't like a vibration from the sound, it just feels like wind coming out of my Cabinet. Is this safe? The megoliath is ported in the front and the back, so it seems like it would be possible to set up a wave that sucked in the back port and blew out the front, but i don't know this for sure. Anyone have similiar experiences or know what's going on?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That good ol' pants-flappin breeze. As long as you're not getting distortion, it's not only OK, it's desireable!

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Yeah buddy!

Nothin' better than backing up close to your amp during a performance and getting a chill from the wind coming from the ports:D

If it WASN'T ported, I think there might be a sligh cause for concern, but since it's ported its designed to do that.