Feelin Down

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jace The Bass, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Last Night I got a call up to play a corprate gig at the last minute ( 3 hours before gig )
    The MD said half would be read and the other half I simply had to play off the cuff ( faked my way through a couple as well ) but overall I knew the tunes that they played so I was feeling great
    Everyone had a great time and I was proud of myself UNTIL
    a Lawyer who came up to me and said
    Look you ***hole get a real job! I make fives times as much as you do
    Boy I just wanted to give him a clout but being the professional I just smiled
    Although his statement is true I'm quite taken back by that I mean he doesn't know how many hours that Ivé put in
    Now I'm a bit depressed although Ivé had nine to fivers
    it just suxs how he could say something like that to me
    Anyway I just wanted to let it out :crying:
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I would've said, "Gee, that's funny. Your wife said the same thing whilst we were cuddling last night!"
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    You may make 5 times more than me, but you've got a face that looks like it's been set on fire and stomped out with a track shoe...
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Is your goal wealth or happiness? They are not the same. Studies show that after 40K happiness does not increase and can even decrease. My response to the lawyer would be. "I have a real job. It's called 'bassist' and I find it very rewarding. I am in demand for performances and sessions and my skills are at a level where I can sound good and have fun improvising even when I have never heard the tune before. Does all of your money make you happy? How many ulcers do you have?" Actually, I would be pissed and wouldn't be able to think of that on the spot, but if I had time to think that's what I'd say.
  5. Sounds to me like he was jealous of you and just had to make himself feel better ;) ....... probably a failed bassist who never realised his dreams and became a lawyer for lack of musical talent :)
  6. Thanks guys I appreciate the encouragement
    As much as I wanted to give him a piece of my mind I'm glad I didn't because the Bandleader gave me a call the next day to ask me to play a couple of gigs coming up next month
    Besides if I would've got into an arguement with him I don't think I would've got asked to play again
    Now I can't wipe the satisfying smile off my face :D
    What a difference a day makes huh !
  7. I agree with the others; don't let it get to you. The a-hole felt the need to put you down to make himself feel better.
  8. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    amazing you actually let that get to you. he's probably got a very small penis. putting people down is just.....bad form.

just :bassist:
  9. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Cheer up Jace, you play the bass ......and he is a lawyer. I would say given those two choices you are on the right track.
  10. Maybe this guy was upset because his date thought you were cute?!
  11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Jealousy. Plain and simple. F' him. Money only equals happiness up to the point of taking care of all the essentials and a little more. Beyond that it means little. Will he ever know the joy of being deep in the pocket and making a crowd of people's booties shake, I think not.
  12. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    This guy said that just outta the blue with no other conversation taking place? Who the hell cares how much money he makes? I would have laughed in his face and said "dude, did you skip taking your medication today"?
  13. Who goes up to a pro musician and says something like that?? He deserved to lose his front teeth over that.:oops: Of course, you're a gentleman and a professional so that didn't happen. Just remember that you make people happy with your job, while his is to prey off of the misery of other people.
  14. KeithPas

May 16, 2000

Amen to that brother!!!
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It was said earlier, but it's sheer jealousy... it's ridiculous! He knows you have fun at work, maybe that means it's not a real job :rollno:
  16. ;) :cool:
  17. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Aren't people the best?!?! I love the human race!

**** that guy. Some people just want a reason to be an a$$hat.

Oh, and I second the small penis thing - $10 says he's packing a cucumber.

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  18. He is the same guy that has all of the money in the world, but has a shallow, uneventful life. Don't let him get you down, he is just a jerk who doesn't know that there is more to life than money, something called hapiness. Guys like that don't understand doing something you love. You, and anyone who is doing what they love for a living, just for the passion of it will be 10 times the man that he will ever be. Man this one got me all fired up! Personal fulfillment is the most important to a satisfying life. Heh, just wait untill you are both around 60, he will look back on his life saying coulda shoulda woulda.
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'da just smiled and said "Money ain't everything."
  20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I would have smiled, unzipped my pants and peed all over his Gucci pants.