1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Feeling A little uneasy about my new bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jroneal, May 10, 2010.

1. Jroneal

Jroneal

May 10, 2010
    Houston
    Hello! Im new to the threads and I thought I'd start by asking ya'll (people on the forums) a question.
    I just bought an AXL 5 string Players Deluxe bass, and wanted to know about anyone whos heard of/played this bass before. Wanted to find out what people thought. I personally love it, but I wanted to hear other opinions.

---Jonathan

2. Whats making you uneasy if you love it?

I had this old axl tele , good guitar it had this sweet high gloss neck i really liked i sold it though.

3. Jroneal

Jroneal

May 10, 2010
    Houston
    uneasy may not have been the right word...I love the instrument but after I purchased it I looked it up on the internet and could not find a review of it or anything. Then I read that they dont make it anymore, and was wondering if something had gone wrong.

4. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    They don't make stradivarius violins anymore either.

5. Robo Bass

Robo Bass

Feb 20, 2010
    Dayton, Ohio
    Take heed my friend for this was a great answer. If you like what this bass gives you then that is all that matters! ;)

6. Robo Bass

Robo Bass

Feb 20, 2010
    Dayton, Ohio
    Chosing a bass is like chosing a good woman...ALWAYS!

7. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I always look my new women up on the internet to see reviews.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    "It doesn't have a review"

=

"It wasn't popular enough / it was discontinued before the internet hit big / it's not Fender so nobody on the internet cares"

There are thousands of basses that have never and will never have reviews. Do you like it? Then awesome. I can safely say that I disagree with well over half the reviews I've read out there regarding products I own or have tried.

9. freakfingers12

freakfingers12

Mar 28, 2010
    Malaysia
    LMAOROFL :hyper:

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    dude, if you like it, why do you need opinions of people telling you otherwise? that's all that should matter is if it feels good and sounds good to you

:bassist:

11. i've played a couple of entry level axl guitars and i thought they were very decent instruments. i didnt plug them in, so idk about the electronics. they did play very well, tho.

12. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    My #1 bass is an Ibanez RKB which I got for $200 new on a clearance sale. It apparently was a huge flop, as the $200 would barely cover the cost of the pickups (SD Quarter Pounders) and the bridge (BAII) new. There are a couple of reviews out there but generally it's a low profile instrument.

Love the bass. Even given the price I paid, if I had to throw one bass into a fiery ditch, I'd throw my one-piece ash SR5HH before this one.

Sometimes the market doesn't pick the right instruments to be successful, popular, or easily found on the internet. If you like the instrument, than I think the obscurity adds an extra bit of "cool" factor to playing it out.

13. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Not trying to be rude, just being 100% brutally honest here.......you have to be either seriously "search engine illiterate"or just plain lazy because in a matter of 1 minute of my time, I found reviews of your bass on HC, MF, and Amazon....and all I did was type in "axl bass guitar reviews" on my google search bar:meh:

14. on a completely off-topic note, seventhson, your avatar is just... heavenly.
    Someone you know?

15. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    +1......I noticed that too!!! :bag:

16. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    oh, thanks!

btw, to the OP, there's a famous story about Les Claypool falling in love with an ugly used bass made by an unknown maker (to him and most of the world at the time) at a guitar shop after being blown away at how easy it was to play Yes' Round-a-bout on it. He begged his Mom to buy it.

It turned out to be a Carl Thompson.

So, yes, go with your instincts, and don't let anyone else sway what you know to be true.

17. dionysusolympus

dionysusolympus

Apr 13, 2010
    if you can work magic with it, then keep on jammin.

18. Alucard817

Alucard817

May 18, 2010
    Tampa,Fla
    so what.
    i have a cheapy carlo robelli that i just cant get enough of.
    if you like the bass, and it does what you want it to then thats the bass for you. just because a bass doesnt cost a million bucks doesnt mean its not a good bass.

19. Gidzkun

Gidzkun

May 16, 2010
    they said it.. if you like it then its good bass..;)

20. bspot

bspot

Sep 9, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    I purchased an AXL Badwater bass online this week and hope to see it arrive by early next week. Ill post a review once I play it a few days...