1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Feeling guilty for practicing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassplayinggirl, Feb 18, 2008.

1. For taking time to practice?

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. For not taking time to practice?

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  3. All of the above

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. Am I the only one who feels guilty for slipping off to my "music room" to practice for 20 minutes while the rest of the family is watching television?

When I got my new bass I swore I'd give it an hour a day. Okay, so half an hour a day. It's not happening.:crying:

2. I just feel goofy practicing when I know people can hear me working on something or figuring something out.

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I don't know if guilty is the right word, but I should practice more. I just don't play out at all as much as I used to do and it reduces the motivation to practice. I also spend more time on practicing singing than bass playing nowadays.

Bassplayinggirl, no need to feel guilty for having a hobby. Everybody needs some time to do things they like to do in addition to all the stuff you need to do. And, if the rest of the family is watching TV - i.e. relaxing - why should you have any guilty feelings for enjoying the bass? If they're making dinner, doing the laundry, shopping food etc etc etc and you play the bass meanwhile, I can see you feeling guilty, but not really if the rest are just relaxing.

One hour a day seems quite much if you have a full-time job and a family to take care of. An hour a few days a week shouldn't be impossible though. A lot of people do sports several hours a week. It's probably mostly about time planning, and really allowing some time for your own wellbeing.

4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    No guilt at all. I'm musician.... I practice, I perform, I make music. This is what I am. My wife knew that before we married. My children are musicians too.... they practice.

5. Thanks for the encouragement, Deacon. Actually, I'm the one who does the laundry, and the shopping, and cleaning up (the mister does the cooking), and never disappear to play if there are dishes in the sink (I"m a good girl), but I still feel like I should be spending time with them. I guess I manage alright. I usually do get in a total of a couple of hours a week, plus a weekly band rehearsal. I do my exercising in the early morning before anyone wakes up.

6. My weekends are for the family. The weeknights are open for discussion. I am not a TV person, so, if there is a night where the family is watching TV. They watch while I hide in my practice room and play drums and bass.

I dont feel guilty. If my wife or kids come in the room and ask me for anything. I'll do it.

7. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    *whispering* Here's the secret. You start out spending ALL your time practicing. Then your family will be thrilled with ANY time you give back to them (just kidding).

Really it's just about communication, isn't it? You are agonizing over the time you spend practicing but it doesn't sound like you know if your family even thinks it's a problem. I suggest you bring it up with them and see how they feel about the issue.

8. I'm a stay at home mum and I have to fit my practice around looking after 2 manic children.. it's not easy and I don't get to practice enough really... but I don't feel guilty for practicing... I feel guilty for not practicing ENOUGH.

9. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Both.........
    I feel guilty because i work and i feel i'm taking time away from my family when i go into my room to practice.
    And then i feel guilty of not practicing as often as i should because i'm trying to spend time with the family.
    It's weird like that! My wife tells me not to feel guilty when i go practice but i do.
    Maybe is because of my kid,who knows.

10. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    My two kids (in their 20's now) are both musicians. I like to think the practice ethic that I modeled for them when they were younger had something to do with that.

11. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I practice through a Tascam bass trainer with headphones after my kids go to bed and my wfie scrapbooks while I'm practicing.