1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Feeling Horny

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eno50, Mar 31, 2009.

1. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Hello Everyone, I need some advise on a Folded horn cab to use outdoors I have read here in some post that some are using the old peavey FH 1 bass bin for there out door rigs. I would like to find one of those and I have been looking.
    Without big Pa support I would like to put an folded horn
    cab under my 410 cab when playing outside to get the bass
    out to the audience.
    If I cant find a med size f-horn cab I may have to order some plans from Bill Fitz and make my own.
    Anybody using horns in there outsde rigs? any advise?
    Thanks Eno

2. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Don't know a thing about folded horn cabs, but I figured I'd lend my name to the discussion. :D

3. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    LOL ! Thanks Horny Toad

4. Q1: How low do you have to go?
    Q2: How loud to you require?

For example, a typical 410 has an SPL sensitivity of 100 or higher.
    If you don't mind 95 SPL at 40 Hz, you can get away with one of Bill's T39 bass horns.
    If you want to EQ to get Flat-To-Forty, you need a pair.
    Use the 3012LF driver, and build it as close to 30" width as you can stand.

For example, I require 134 SPL at 40 Hz for my outdoor PA system, so I need four T39, 3012LF loaded, 30" wide.
    I don't support below 40 Hz, so T39 does the job.
    If you need to go lower, the full chamber T48 is the ticket.
    However, T48 is a whole lot larger box.

Don't overlook a simple vented box with a 3015LF.
    This is a 28x22x19" package with an F3 at 44 Hz, and sensitivity pretty close to your 410.

5. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Bill Fitzmaurice's DR series of folded horns are exceptionally well thought-out in my opinion, and easily surpass the performance of earlier generation folded horns. In particular, he goes to great lengths to get good radiation pattern control over a wide frontal arc.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/DR250.html; see in particular the curves just below the photo of the cabinet. This is outstanding radiation pattern uniformity out to well off-axis. This cab would not be limited to outdoor use - it would work great indoors as well.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You wouldn't use the DR250 along with a 4x10, you'd use it instead of a 4x10. As Bruce noted T39 or T48 would be appropriate as a low frequency bottom cab.

7. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Well I can hear myself on stage just fine and so can the drummer and Guitar , But i have been told that the bass is weak out 40 feet or so , I just using about 200 watts, I think(my amp is 350 watts rms) and using 2 8ohm cabs with the amp at about 1 o'clock on volume,I was wanting something with some throw ,I'am not sure if I need short throw or long throw cab, But my thinking was to remove the bottom cab(the 15") and put the top cab(4-10) on top of a horn cab since stage volume is not a problem,I just want to get the bass out to the crowd without turning up to loud on the stage. Keep in mind that I'am trying to do this without big PA
    support ,All they have is two mains on poles and two monitors up front. just for vocals, no subs,mids, h-feg horns or side fills at all . From what I understand,Folded horn cabs come together about 20 foot out, won't be much on stage tho. I looked at the t-48 it may it be an over kill?
    Eno

8. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Right you are, Bill! I didn't read the original post closely enough, and didn't see bgavin's post.