1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Feeling like everything you write sucks.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oZZma, Dec 14, 2018.

1. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    How to cope with the crushing sense of frustration when you work for months to write/improve your songs but you always feel they are not so good and you feel mediocre and just want to quit.

2. BrianNYC

BrianNYC

Mar 7, 2018
    It is directly related to WHY you are writing them. If the motivation is success and $ It can be discouraging for sure. As an expression of art on a personal level there should be a bond there. I love the crappy stuff I write, I just dont expect anyone else to. FWIW

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

you know you're a writer when:
    - most of it sucks
    - you never give up, ever
    - but most of it sucks
    - but you never give up, ever
    - yada yada

if you give up = you're not a writer! good luck with your writing! :thumbsup:

Atshen, Yonni, Mr_Moo and 3 others like this.
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    A guy once said to me, "I want to be a writer."

I said, "so write."

Atshen, Yonni, Mr_Moo and 5 others like this.
  5. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    I don't know. I don't care for money, that's for sure.
    It started just for fun but with time has become a challenge/obsession
    As for "success"... define "success"
    Things like "going on tours" etc are SO out of reach for me that I haven't ever thinked about it for a second, I knew it from the start
    I just wanted to publish something and I would have been happy if the quality was good enough to appeal me if It wasn't me who wrote it. And to gain respect from whom I respect, as a musician. That's all

Mr_Moo and BrianNYC like this.
  6. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Just keep at it. Nobody just started writing great stuff, you need to hone your craft. You can't get tot he good ones without some (or in some cases lots) of garbage. And who says your songs are not good?

oZZma likes this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Sometimes when someone thinks they suck and should quit, they're not wrong.

Atshen, oZZma and mrcbass like this.
  8. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Like any art you will probably reject 90% of your ideas. It's still a good idea to keep a record like recording your ideas. Just because something isn't working immediately doesn't mean that you might not find a use for it later.

C/S,
    Rev J

oZZma likes this.
  9. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    These are harsh words but speak the truth. I've failed at everything I cared about and this will not be different.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I really wasn't saying that to be a downer or discourage anyone. But some realism every now and then can be healthy. And there's nothing wrong with playing other people's music. But if you have a creative impulse and you feel like there's music you want to make, you should. It's a leisure activity. You can put in as much or as little time into it as you want.

oZZma likes this.
  11. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Crap. This is only true if you keep giving up at stuff. If you aren’t failing you aren’t learning:

Thomas A. Edison: 'I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work’

Persevere and work through the dross, you’ll come good eventually.

oZZma likes this.
  12. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    I know, there's no need to justify :)
    That's just what reality is, and I'm very good at self-loathing and descouraging myself :)
    Anyways I have no interest in playing other people's music, that would not be the same.. I needed a reason to be proud in my life, something I have made myself. But I'm not proud yet, after a year or so.

13. LOL!!

14. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    My reharsal space is in a room next to a recording studio, and right now there is a band there, they are recording... I don't like much the genre but they are awesome, and much younger than me :( And I hear what they are playing and I can't help thinking that I Will never reach a decent level at my age (41)

15. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Time for a vacay. :thumbsup:

Everything I've ever butted heads with got a lot better after a break.

oZZma likes this.
  16. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I've been there. The fact is that writing good songs takes a lot of hard work and practice. It's not unlike any other part of trying to be a good musician. It takes time, failures, and learning. Just keep doing it.

Atshen and oZZma like this.
  17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The odds of writing great songs are against you IMHO. When you put your own songs up against those of masters like the Beatles, Dylan, Elvis Costello, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, etc. it's easy to come up short.

One way to get better is to analyze what makes great songs great...really pay attention to the melodies, chords, rhythms and lyrics. Songwriting is a craft and it can be learned if you devote yourself to it.

Just write more songs and keep throwing away the ones you think suck rather than trying to rework them.

oZZma likes this.
  18. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    Thank you for sharing your experience :)
    I started from zero (I started playing bass in 2016) so maybe it's too soon to expect great results :/
    I'm improving little by little, maybe I should just be more patient... and try not to expect too much.

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Nope.

Couldn't disagree more.

But thanks for the negative reinforcement. Those who are trying to refine their craft desperately need more of it.

Most people who suck and should quit are assured of their own brilliance.

Most people who doubt it need to learn not to listen to critics, most of whom have no actual accomplishments of their own.

bobomatic likes this.
  20. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Don't you believe it. You can fail 100,000 times, but it won't matter if you succeed.

oZZma likes this.