1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Feeling under geared...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mr L, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    So I'm going to audition for my first band since I've started playing bass. Been playin in my church band for a while but that doesn't really count.

The band is a metal/grunge band (change of pace much?) and they are all around my age, 17-19. However I use a squier affinity J and the only bass amp I have is a peavey 112. I'm a little nervous about being instantly rejected cause my gear isn't that great. However, I can play all their songs though.

Any thoughts?

2. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    if you are good and theya re not completly dumb they will accept you for your skill...
    the gear can be upgraded in a day or a week.. even if it is in a month...

skill.... no so much

3. Rather than being rejected, I would worry about being inaudible. If your combo supports an extension cab I'd get another 112 extension cab pronto, or just upgrade to a rig cable of jamming for realz, like a 410 or 212 pushed with at least 500 watts.

4. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Really? Is a 410 or 212 necessary in a rehearsal setting?

5. BelleNoireBass

BelleNoireBass

Apr 18, 2012
    Bay Area
    No, it's not. And also, more wattage doesn't mean it's going to be louder than less.

Just go in there and throw down your skills and if they don't want you then go find another band to audition for that you would like to be in. Don't let yourself get discouraged.

6. It depends on how loud the drummer hits, and how loud the guitarists play. When you say metal, I just think it's going to be loud. In one band I played with the drummer hit very hard, and always wore ear plugs, so in the enclosed rehearsal space it was *louder* than it ever was on a real stage. Although we were not a metal band, he was a very metal drummer- awesome and could play all styles, but hit the drums very very hard.

7. BelleNoireBass

BelleNoireBass

Apr 18, 2012
    Bay Area
    This is very important to keep in mind.

8. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I almost said "Can't they just tone it down a bit" but caught myself. Silly me thinking guitarists would turn down their amps.

I will keep the suggestions in mind, however there isn't really any way between now and Sunday I would be able to pickup a cab or anything.

9. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell

Some valid points. Generally if the sentence has the word "metal" in it, it's gonna be loud. Especially in the confines of a rehearsal space/garage/living room/etc. I use a 150w 112 for garage/living room rehearsals all the time (classic/southern rock). I just put it up on a chair or stool to get it closer to ear level. Since space may be an issue, after you dial up, use ear plugs. Really, use ear plugs. The last thing you want is symbols destroying your eardrums because your too close.

Most of all have fun with it. :bassist:

10. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The thing is, what are you going to do? Do you have enough money to buy a new rig if needed? If not, you just gotta roll with what you have.

When I was 17, I had a Cort bass and a 10-15W PA cab we called "The Howler". Man that was a crappy amp, and I almost forgot about it until this thread. But none of us in the band had any money or gear. Our PA consisted of speakers we found in the trash that we mounted into cardboard boxes. The guitarist played through a Gorilla practice amp. The drummer had an old Slingerland that we though was crap but is probably pretty collectible now. We had a cheap Radio Shack mic that we shared between all of us. And I had to walk uphill both ways to make it to practice too........But, you know what? We made music, and had a blast doing it.

I say just do it. The worst thing that can happen is that you are at the same place as you are now.

11. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    They are too loud for a sixty watt practice amp?

Try putting the amp up on a chair, so it's hitting your ears better. It should be enough. Otherwise, they are just practicing TOO LOUD.

12. I bet they have a vocal PA that has enough volume for someone to scream through. Take the DI or whatever unpowered out of your amp and stick it into their PA

13. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Another thing you can try is sticking it right into a corner. I did that once at an audition where I was told beforehand it would be small amps. When I showed up, though, it was Twins and Pro Reverbs. All I'd brought was my little Carvin MB15. I turned it so the driver faced directly into the corner. The amp's sides were almost touching the walls. I was shocked at how well it filled the room and how well it carried. Obviously you lose your mids, but the effect may be just what you want. Poor man's horn loading, lol...

14. i dont play very well but i have way more gear then everyone else to make up for it.....

15. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    LOL...that's a good one. :D

16. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    So i gotta play better than everyone else to make up for it :p or just pretend i can really well...

17. My first band audition I didn't have nearly enough amp to handle the job, so I used their old bass player's rig that was still there and when they offered me the job it was on the condition that I would get a rig big enough to handle the task, which I was planning on anyways.

I got the job because I could play the material fairly well at audition, considering I had never heard half of it (original metal band).

Peace,
    Greg

18. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

If you said "turn it down some" you blow it for sure. Hey I was once 18 too and that would have not gone over to well. Just tell them that this is your practice amp and you will be looking for a gig amp in the near future. If you get the job, that is something that you will need to have anyway.

19. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    No relationship is perfect and the ones that work are because the problem areas can be resolved or simply put up with. If you are a right fit for the band issues, like in this case probably insufficient amplification, can be resolved.

Take the audition and work from there.

20. correct...until you can afford lots of gear