Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

feels great to play bass in a band again!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by electricdemon3, Jun 12, 2002.

1. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I took a leap of absence from bass playing for an extended period of time to play lead guitar in my band. However, me and my other band mates were never happy with our bass player's performance. He was really a guitar player at heart. So, I talked to him and since I have always been a bass player at heart, we decided to switch roles. Well last night we had our first rehearsal with the new lineup and it felt great.

Overall the rhythm section was much tighter. before when we played, if the drummer started to slow down, our bass player would slow down with him and that would force everyone else to slow down and then no one was happy. Now, if the drummer starts to slow down, I try and keep the tempo where it should be at and then he can pick back up into the groove and no one is complaining.

I forgot how exciting it is to play bass in a band, to be the one who is pumping the low end out from under the guitars, I feel that it is a much more emotional experience than guitar playing in a band, at least in a metal setting where the guitar is more of a show off instrument.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Welcome back to the low-side :)

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I know how you feel. In the middle of the 90's, I didn't touch a bass (or any other instrument) for the four years I was working full-time days and completing my college degree at night. But a few months after graduation I picked up bass again to help out some friends, and realized how much I missed playing. Now I'm very close to my peak playing form, gigging regularly, and absolutely loving it.