1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Feist-like artist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funkalicious101, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Someon I knows birthday is comming up and I plan on getting them a couple CDs. I knew they really like Feist but I think a little variety would be good too. Anyone know any bands/musicians that sound similar to Leslie Feist?

2. I'm very sure that website was going to be very helpful but.....

3. c_joseph_lier

c_joseph_lier

Aug 7, 2007
    Well, you could try Amazon ... they usually have a section that has a "customers who veiwed this item also veiwed..." section ... i would like to help more, but I have never actually heard of that band ... if i had a genre, i could help better ... possibly ... sorry pandora doesn't work for you because i love it, and i get new music all of the time ... good luck with your search...

4. Aw, damn man, I didn't realise. Sorry.

As for Feist, she's part of an amalgam of groups in Canada, where members often intertwine and work on each other's stuff...like Broken Social Scene (highly recommended) and By Divine Right (she played guitar, iirc)

I'll think of some other stuff, but BSS is awesome.

5. The first 5 Pandora hits were

the Cranberries

Smoosh

Kim Taylor (who I like alot)

Feist (funny! I won't count this one)

Beth Orton (I can see it, I like her stuff too...not so "experimental" tho)

The Decemberists (who I LOVE. You should dig it too)

6. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    in english? i dunno. but javiera mena is awesome (i think she's from chile).
    not really the same, but imogen heap is cool as well.

7. YES! Imogen Heap.... GREAT record from just over a year ago....amazing stuff.

8. N8116B

N8116B

Jan 14, 2008
    Earth
    The Be Good Tanyas and the Wailen Jenny's

Both real good folk groups that have blended traditional music with different genres

9. I think Kim Taylor would be a really good fit. I think I'll go with one of her albums aswell.

10. Ok, I cant find any info for Kim Taylor and its looking like I wont be able to find one of her CDs at HMV.

11. then I would definitely suggest Imogen Heap, if she doesn't already have it.

12. Holy crap Beth Orton is great. We may have a new winner.

13. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Pandora is a rip off of last.fm

A lot of people that listen to Feist listen to Joanna Newsom as well, a bit different but still good.

14. I think I'm going with Beth Orton's Central Reservations. Its (somewhat) minimalist approach will be a good contrast to the extravagance of Feist.

15. Regardless, both are great resources, and for a while I liked Pandora's interface better....I use both often.

16. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Cat Power. The first time I heard/saw Feist, I immediately thought of Cat Power.

17. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    I think Feist is way more poppy in a Serge Gainsbourg sort of way, whereas Cat Power is more memphis blues. You can definately tell which continent each musician is from.

Coincidentally, I first heard Feist on a Serge Gainsbourg tribute CD. Might be a decent idea to check out some of the artists on the track listing or to just check out the tribute album altogether (or Serge's daughter who is great as well.)

Edit: Track number 2: "I love you (me either)" is entirely orgasmic. I mean that in uh... multiple ways. Just don't listen to it in the middle of a long tour on the road without any female action. You'll scare everyone in the band.

18. I could give you a bunch of recommendations, but you said that you want to find the cds at HMV. You wont find any of this at HMV

Lydia's Address
    Bradley Hathaway (a little weirder, way more poetic)
    Dustin Kensrue (singer from thrice's acoustic solo project AMAZING)
    Jeff Caylor
    Jeremy Enigk
    Steven Delopoulos

You might be able to find the Dustin Kensrue cd at HMV, all the other ones are quite rare and you might not even be able to find them on amazon or something like that. Most are limited indie releases and Lydia's Address was a self released cd with less than 500 made, but I think you can download it off of their myspace.

lowsound

19. I ended up going with Feist's newest album (with the song on that stupid iPod comercial) and Beth Orton's Central Reservations.

Thanks for all the help guys.