Fela Kuti's Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by relman, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Does anyone know who played bass on Fela's recordings? Was it himself? Any additional info (gear, etc) is greatly appreciated.
    10cc likes this.
  2. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I think the players are listed on the LPs but cant recall if they are listed on the CD reissues.

I am a huge fan of Fela. I have seen his son Femi perform twice and I even got to meet Femi on one occasion. Also I can recommend the afrobeat band Antibalas out of NYC. They tour the country so check them if they come to your town.

I will check my CDs tonight to see if they list the players.
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Fela's band was Africa 70.

Fela's bassist was NWEKE ATIFOH.

If you like Fela's stuff, check out recordings under Tony Allen. He was Africa 70's drummer and rhythmic backbone. Most of his stuff also has Fela.
    10cc likes this.
  4. Dark Barn

Dark Barn Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Necro'd! I discovered Fela about a year ago, solid gold! Everything I've heard is just incredible. I have almost his whole 70's catalog and a little bit of the 80's. I was just now jamming to some and was wondering who the bass player was; he's solid and doesn't mind locking down a nasty grove with the same pattern for 15, 20, 30 minutes! I've seen a little live footage and these guys had some insane stamina! From what I gather from the documentary I saw recently Fela would play his own club literally ALL night, almost every night. I don't mean bar-time "all night" I mean ALL NIGHT, til the sun was back up.

Anyways thanks for answering my question 9 and a half years ago baba.
    aaronious and 10cc like this.
  5. getbent

Aug 20, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    "doesn't mind locking down a nasty grove with the same pattern for 15, 20, 30 minutes"

Not sure if he had a choice! From what I remember reading, Fela came up with all the parts and told everyone in the band what to play (drummer Tony Allen was the only one who got to write his own parts), and he probably owned all the instruments too.
  6. zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    He's an unsung legend for sure. Him and many other African musicians are badly unrecognized. A toast to afro beat!
    grrg63 and 10cc like this.
  7. 10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Bout time. Great thread
  8. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Oh man, don't get me started...I played in an afrobeat band in Beijing for a while doing lots of Fela & Femi covers, plus some originals. Incredible music to get to play, amazing grooves...and yes, often I'd be playing those grooves over and over for 15, 20, 25 minutes! If you've never encountered this music before, I highly recommend it. Incredible fusion of African & western music concepts and great dancing music too.
    10cc likes this.