1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Felix Pappalardi - how to get his sound on the cheap?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bass V, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I can get approximations of the ripping, gnurgy, grind and muffled explosiveness he owned with his old / reissue Violin Gibbys and Sunn heads on my Epi Toby and split CUBE rig, but outside of choking up at least 5K to match his set up I probably won't quite reach the unique organic tuber / mudbucker sound heard in the video below. leaving me to think a style of pedal or a particular effect would push my signal further into Felixland, but nailing it... is it possible? the bass in the video is his late '60s reissue which was said to have been revamped with extra hot circuitry.

Attached Files:

Fuzzbass likes this.
  2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Meh, sounds like lots of fuzz and a neck pickup.

There are tons of pedals out there that simulate a fully overdriven, on the brink of collapse Sunn amp.

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    There are a couple that are meant to do exactly that - like the Acapulco Gold from EQD.

Bass V likes this.
  4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    cool, thanx. in checking it out it seems I can get to that level with what I have now, I'd like to take it further, can you think of another in case that one can't match the extremities heard in the video I posted? do any tube FX go that far? if this was an easy remedy I'd think the tips would have flooded in, I'm not the only one after that classic crazy sound.

5. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    The Acapulco Gold is a killer pedal, and from the tone from your video a nice nasally fuzz would get you pretty close. The video reminds me of my SolidgoldFX Sasori, a modern clone of the Shen-Ei FY-2 Companion Fuzz.

Bass V likes this.
  6. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    Arguably, you kind of are.

I'm a big Mountain fan and tried to go for that tone when I was younger. Then realized it doesn't work well in a mix. It takes up a ton of the available headroom, and reeeeeeaally doesn't leave much room for guitars.

So. If I knew I could useably play with that tone without dominating any mix I'd play in, with it, I'd use it.

But. I know that's kind of impossible. So I don't.

Bass V likes this.
  7. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Eh, I don't know - Felix's tone really works for power trios like Mountain just like it did for Jack Bruce in Cream. I'd agree with you if one was to play in a larger ensemble, but heavy fuzz riffs really shines up against a bass drum & snare.

Bass V likes this.
  8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I can dig it, such a radical useless sound is what made that sound and those guys legendary. I'd be using it in a similar duo / trio setting so it'll work.
    in the video, it occasionally sounds like there's an octave thing going on which an old Vintage Shin-ei Duo Fuzz gives a great imitation of, but I've not heard Felix used anything in front of his amp and is probably part of the insanity. to get that super rude 'sharp' distortion it'd have to match something like Keef's ancient Maestro FZ-1A Fuzz-Tone pushed to the max, coupled with the reissued Gibby's hot drive might get it and maybe my Toby can too.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  9. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    EAE makes a Sunn pedal as well. The Acapulco gold can get plenty nasty.

Bass V likes this.
  10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    thanx, Mosfed, the Sunn gets closer to the sound than the Gold, but still not nailing it. maybe I gotta dig out an old generic distortion pedal I've got packed away to fix / mod, it can get stupid spitty and splatty, that might do it on it's own or pushed thru one of these. but the one of a kind beastly crudeness Roman gets out of Felix's rig is where I want it, just to have on reserve for the rowdiest stuff I do in reverence to the gnurgermeister and Leslie's Junior.
    on Leslie, he mastered the use of very thin picks to get his awesome sound circa '70, anybody know exactly the picks he used back then? btw, I use Dunlop 2.0 mm for bass and they're perfect.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  11. Michael4bass

Michael4bass

Aug 20, 2011
    Florence, MS
    Felix got his sound from the amp. The Sunn Coliseum amp was Volume, High Bass, Mid and Treble controls all set on 10, the Lo Bass was at 0. He had three Sunn slave amps with all four amps pushing a pair of Sunn 2x15 cabs each. Talk about cone excursion! His tech told me that they reconed every speaker after a tour.

Bassically, Michael

Bass V likes this.
  12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    awesome! I almost wish I could use that insight, this is all for mini rig use, gets me close.
    it was always just Felix, his bass, and amp w/ 0 in between, right?

13. Michael4bass

Michael4bass

Aug 20, 2011
    Florence, MS
    Yes, bass straight into the Coliseum head. LaBella heavy flats on that Gibson with a heavy pick. It was a sight to see, all those 15s flapping like crazy, but it was a awesome sound.

Bassically, Michael

Bass V likes this.
  14. In addition to a few pedal companies staring into the Sunn circuit, there are a few Sunn circuits orbiting in the DIY realm that replicate the topology of the amps. While I like the Acapulco Gold very much its circuit isn't, TTBOMK, following the topology of any of the Sunn amps.

Search for BETA and Model T in the tagboardeffects forum, and there are a few PCB suppliers offering Sunn-like circuits, too.

Haven't seen any DIY for the Coliseum, yet, nor commercial pedals.

Maybe stack the Acapulco or a Sunn Buzz SB-1G into the EAE Model Fet? Or how about a Tubeworks RealTube 903 modded to have the Sunn tonestack?

Good luck in your tone-quest.

Bass V likes this.
  15. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    great, FF! I'll be going thru all that info today, many thanx!

and, Michael, thanx for the follow up, good stuff to know. wish I coulda been around all that!

Michael4bass likes this.
  16. Bass V, I just received the SunnT from GuitarPCB on Saturday. Got too many builds on the go, so I can't say when I'll get to it.

Just checked GPCB and it's on sale right now.

Bass V likes this.
  17. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Will those Sunn based pedals cut it though? I've not heard one, but if most of that distortion is coming from pushing the amp and speakers to their limits, you might not get the same effect from a pedal based on the amp's preamp section. You might get closer with a straight up overdrive or fuzz.

A muff with a mid boost like the COG Tarkin, Solidgoldfx Imperial, or Blackout Musket would get in the ballpark. Even the Solidgoldfx Beta, typically recommended as a low gain overdrive, would actually work well here as it stays thick and creamy and sustains like a fuzz when cranked. There's the standard, deluxe, germanium, and high gain versions to choose from:

Nunovsky and Bass V like this.
  18. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I really like the Betas, they're sweetly musical and even creep into Felixland, and in front of my new mini rig* might do the trick as I've been in the ballpark ...just not hitting the grand slam yet. all these pedals encourage my thinking that this type of signal in the chain might be the answer, but my old packed away cheapie fuzz rocker pedal may suffice with it's almost unusable square waves maxed and get that wiiiide sputter splat heard in the Roman video. I'm digging that sucker out soon!
    *I recently got my swiss army knife ultra home fun amp rig ...essentially free, consisting of a split signal into a new Roland CUBE 60XL for the lows / mid meat and FX / sweeteners coupled with my older Roland CUBE RX for the highs and more FX / sweets. my favorite Toby and virtually brand new G&L L-2000 Tribute (a $400 all blonde babe) contribute to my nearing Felix's sound already and with these options it might not be impossible to nail it after all. I'm pretty stoked with the thot and deeply thank everybody for their input, please continue should the spirit of Felix move you!

19. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    the DigiTech BP355 @ $150
    while I don't envision paying over $100, this device showed up locally and has some grindy / octavish sounds I can use to get a more exact Mountainous flavor. are there issues I should be aware of? thanx!
    I'm dbl. posting in my DigiTech thread to reach those who replied.

20. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    still been too busy enjoying the damn good enuf grind I get out of my lil RX amp to bother looking for my old pedal or researching / buying anything but having stumbled across this cool octaver I might seek one out. the clincher starts in @ 7min and looks as tho it can be pushed even further than the first demographer went, plus this can be run in a clean non-octave mode to just get the distortion which is v cool and it won't break the bank!