Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fell in Love with MIDI

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kiwlm, May 26, 2004.

1. Well, I used to learn songs by mp3, which I have to illegally download from p2p softwares! Then my guitarist introduced me to MIDI, now I can do the following:

1. Loop a midi section over and over again, either to practice the rhythm, or to transcribe
    2. Mute all other instruments, so I can hear and transcribe the bass parts easily
    3. Mute the bass part, so I can practice in play-along
    4. Tranpose the song, if the song is in Drop D, or if the song is played using 5 stringer ( I am using a 4 )
    5. Share with my band members without taking up too much space (a few K compared to around 3-5Meg for mp3)

Just to share. :hyper:

I do have one question though, seems that all the Jazz standards melody could not be published besides in the Real Book, but I have came across midi files which contains the Jazz Standards, and I can easily import the midi into some notation software to get the Standard Notation, would that be legal?? Of course assuming that I do not print it out and distribute, just for my own usage. :confused:

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  3. Yeah, I know about GuitarPro, CakeWalk, and Band-in-A-Box, but the one thing is that they are all not free. I can just use Midi with a free (and now open source) sequencer Jazz to do the stuffs that I have just mentioned.

4. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    I wouldn't be too worried about downloading a MIDI of 'All the things you are'

PS: I love MIDI, too. Interesting language.