Fell in Love with MIDI

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kiwlm, May 26, 2004.

1. Well, I used to learn songs by mp3, which I have to illegally download from p2p softwares! Then my guitarist introduced me to MIDI, now I can do the following:

1. Loop a midi section over and over again, either to practice the rhythm, or to transcribe
    2. Mute all other instruments, so I can hear and transcribe the bass parts easily
    3. Mute the bass part, so I can practice in play-along
    4. Tranpose the song, if the song is in Drop D, or if the song is played using 5 stringer ( I am using a 4 )
    5. Share with my band members without taking up too much space (a few K compared to around 3-5Meg for mp3)

Just to share. :hyper:

I do have one question though, seems that all the Jazz standards melody could not be published besides in the Real Book, but I have came across midi files which contains the Jazz Standards, and I can easily import the midi into some notation software to get the Standard Notation, would that be legal?? Of course assuming that I do not print it out and distribute, just for my own usage. :confused:
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  3. Yeah, I know about GuitarPro, CakeWalk, and Band-in-A-Box, but the one thing is that they are all not free. I can just use Midi with a free (and now open source) sequencer Jazz to do the stuffs that I have just mentioned.
  4. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I wouldn't be too worried about downloading a MIDI of 'All the things you are'

PS: I love MIDI, too. Interesting language.