Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fell in love with the Godin Freeway!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oversoul, Jul 23, 2004.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    And the most odd thing is that I find the bass (except the maple finish) to be ugly! But I tried one today just out of curiosity and that thing just sang in my hands, damn, I even got this weird guy at the store proposing me to join his band!! (no BS!!) Man, id I didn't needed to buy a cab urgently I would so grab that thing, it was a lesson learned, the less visually interesting instrument around me was just the one for me :eyebrow:
    Anyone care to throw some cents about this instrument?

2. It's not any uglier than a Musicvox. ;)

3. It's not a gorgeous guitar, by any means, but I wouldn't call it 'ugly'. I would label it 'lack luster, but decent looking'.

As far as asthetics vs. playability, I'd take the latter.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  5. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    they are very well built IMO, not a single fretbuzz and great string feel!

6. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    The Godin basses are a great value. Superior craftsmanship at a Korean/Mexican/? pricepoint. The Godin traditional type basses SD and Freeway don't look like stock Fender rip offs, but that is a good way to set yourself apart.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Psh, they are anything BUT fender rip offs, i might add. I feel with a proper set up and better pickups, they are as good as American Fenders , no doubt about it. Great basses, great qualtiy. I havent found anything wrong with my Godin, and have had it for almost 8 months.

8. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I think you misunderstood my post Fig. I was trying to impart that even though they have a common p/u config. that Godins are their own unique instruments. I used to work for a dealer that sold both Fender and LaSiDo (Godin, Seagull, Art & Lutherie etc) and I cannot tell you how many times a buyer would try a stock strat or p or j bass, compare to the Godin SD and buy the SD on the spot! They are an amazing value and I agree more than a Fender copy (look at their headstock, hardware, and preamp improvements for example).

I would also add that the stock pickups are fine and don't need a replacement anymore than a Fender et. al. Better than the compressed American standard p p/us IMHO. My fave was the SD p/j that had Duncans on board. Those basses smoked!

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heh, sorry. Yea i know what you were saying, i guess i was trying to enforce your point.

10. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    So which one of you two offers to buy me one? ;)

11. Careful what you wish for...I might have one for sale with a Hipshot Xtender installed....in fact, the amp rig might be for sale too...

12. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Drop me a PM when you start selling it, no promises tough ;)

13. I love my Freeway! All I have to say!
    Thanks
    Troy

14. :D Couldn't agree more :D
    I especially like the headstock as it's remnicient of the old Telecaster basses.
    The Les Paulish influence in the body is a nice diversion from typical bass shapes too.
    The only thing I'm not happy about is that it's rather heavy for a four string. The sound makes up for it though.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont mind the weight(of the SD). Its certainly not light, but its not very heavy. Id guess, what, 9 pounds?

The stock pickups were fine, but i put in Barts because I knew id have this bass for a while and i wanted it to sound excellent. The Barts sound good whether Im going for a punchy growly tone (my usual fingerstyle tone) or if im doing a more funky tone with the jazz pickup.

fingerstyle:
    p bass pickup: almost full
    jazz pickup: half
    tone: almost full

slap:
    p bass pickup: 1/3
    jazz pickup: almost full
    tone: full

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  17. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    That empty battery box throws people every time! :rolleyes:

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dunno whats with the rolling of the eyes, but yes, it does. Its a battery box connected to nothing.

19. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Rolled eyes because it seems like every passive SD on Ebay is listed as active without checking the system. If someone was to simply pop open the cavity to freshen the battery (or check it in the first place), they would see that it is only there to fill the standard route. I'll calm down now, I just see so many basses misrepresented on ebay, both deliberately and out of a lack of knowledge.

20. The SD has looks that are definitely gonna please someone into a retro vibe. My leaf-top Freeway has a more 70's boutique look to it....and no Godin script logo on the body either. :)