1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fell in love with this combo. should i buy it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfgfgf, Jun 9, 2007.

1. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No offense, but isn't that kind of a dumb question? If you "fell in love with it", then of course you should buy it!

2. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    i meant to hear some pro advices about it. is it good for small gigs? need combo for it and price is ok.

3. The solid-state B-100R sounded great when I tried it, so I'm sure this hybrid B-200R must be even better. Loud enough for small gigs? Probably, unless you're playing heavy stuff.

4. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    play more like beatles-sounding stuff

5. Should be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! & if U like it already....... Have U played thru it already? I assume U have & U LOVE it-well & good. IMHO Ampeg make good to GREAT amps & combo's-some will say they're solid state gear sux & only the tube amps are any good, other's swear by the Hybrid types & others love the Solid state ones. I've owned all 3.A solid state B2R-IMO a lovely amp...very versatile,well made. A SVT3PRO-hybrid(tube pre/s.s. poweramp) another great amp. & an all tube V4BH- a great amp IMHO
    Of course there are exceptions-butI've had nothing but good experiences with Ampeg!!! I've found 'em to be - well made, sound great-versatile-from a good rock to blues to soul, funk,slap I found they could do it all AND be reliable at the same time!!!!! IMHO-if U love it-go 4 it!

6. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    allright then. thanx. and yes, i just played through it today, i was looking for combo pricing around $500-700 and ran into this ampeg. sounds great. i play with fingers, no slap.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If it's like the B100R, and it seems like it is, it should do you fine for Beatles type playing at moderate volume. I thought of buying the B100 when trying it in a L&m store in Toronto when I was shopping for a combo a few years ago. It sounded great playing in the store as loud as I could get away with and sitting close to the amp. At a distance however, it got indistinct and I doubt would have been articulate enough for what I wanted. And then there was the weight. Way too heavy. Looked cool though. I bought a Yorkville combo for about $150 Canadian less that weighed about the same but gave me a better sound for gigs and also had the ability to add an extension cabinet, had a good D.I. and more flexible EQ. It was a wise move as the Yorkville did everything I wanted it to for over a year until I sold it and went big bucks, high end and got a Mesa Walkabout Scout combo. The Yorkville didn't look as retro cool as the Ampeg but it was a better amp all round.

Still, you are in love with the Ampeg and it's your money. Give it a try.

8. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I'd like one of those too! :hyper: ...if I didn't have to carry it the three stairs down and up to my apartment every time I have a gig... :(

You see a lot of the smaller B-100R's here. Most people like them, including me.

9. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    i'd like 100, but it seems like it wouldn't be powerful enough to run with the drums, that's why i tough of 200 watt model + it's got a tube preamp

10. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
  11. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
  12. I can't remember the name of the thread exactly, but a guy from Ampeg stated that they corrected all of the issues that te B200R had, and now they're ready to go. Look around the forum, some people had problems with the tweeter, but it's aparently OK now.

13. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    i'm still deciding between B200R and PBC228, one has better sound, the other one is more reliable and lighter

14. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    the 228 will not give you the same volume as 200w into 15"

I suspect that neither combo has a speaker output to attach another cab while the internal speaker is still running.

the 228 will sound different then the b200. I had an older b50r (12" 50w) sounded great, but not loud enough for drums. its THE ONLY amp I regret selling.

I'd take a chance on the b200 or keep looking for a combo or separates that please your ear.

15. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    As others have noted, the problem everyone was having with the first batch of B200Rs has been identified and fixed, and I haven't heard about any other problems with them since. So reliability probably isn't an issue anymore, and you should focus instead on the sound (and weight, if that's a big issue for you).

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021