1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fellow Ampeg Guys: Cab Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dopejohnpaul, Aug 23, 2020.

1. dopejohnpaul

dopejohnpaul Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    So I’ve done a bit a searching, but haven’t found any pertinent past info on this.
    I have a cab that I’ve owned since the early 00s. It’s factory labeled as a USA 410he, 500 watts, 8ohm, etc. But, it has an HLF serial number on it, which is odd. Takes up A smaller footprint than my HLF. The thing is, it’s front ported, which I’ve always known was primarily an hlf thing, but alas, who am I to argue with the label. I know the newer 410he is sealed. I’ve recently listed this for sale both locally and here on TB. In both instances, I’ve got lookey-loo’s replying to my listings trying to “educate me” on the fact that I’m actually selling an HLF. Upon showing them the label, I’m told I “must have a counterfeit cab” (must be a damn good one lol) or “have made modifications” (I haven’t).
    Anyone chime in with more info? Anyone have the same cab? Got any piece of mind for me? Pics below. The second photo can be zoomed in to see the label.

680AEB7F-A694-4546-8C6D-382844F488A1.jpeg 30251543-A099-4999-A0BC-0E4CE7FB94F4.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  2. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    It sure looks like an HLF. I think the HE models do not have the towel bar, and are not ported. Others may have a different opinion.

3. dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    Never known an HLF to be 8ohm though. And it’s definitely smaller than my other HLF.

4. dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    Here’s a zoomed in pic of the label F1CFE9DB-614C-4FCB-BDDB-5396DF153558.jpeg

5. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Sure looks like an Ampeg! I kid
    Maybe the early model HLF, or mismarked as an HE

1960jbass and EatS1stBassist like this.
  6. dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    So with the HLF serial, I’m inclined to agree. But the HLF is a 4ohm cabinet, and I’ve been using this cab as an 8ohm cab for almost 20 years and haven’t blown anything up yet lol

7. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Using a dedicated 8 ohm output?

dopejohnpaul likes this.
  8. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    The design certainly looks like an HLF.

If you have, or can get, a multimeter, you can test the DC resistance of the cab. If it reads about 5.6 Ohms DC, it’s an 8 ohm cab, if about 2.9 Ohms DC, it’s a 4 Ohm cab.

The other option is to pull the speakers and see what their rated Impedance is and how they are wired. That will get you a model number too and you can use that to compare to drivers installed in the standard cabs.

EatS1stBassist and dopejohnpaul like this.
  9. dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    In the process of checking out the drivers now.

EatS1stBassist and CTBassGuy like this.
  10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The only 8 ohm version of the HLF I know of is the portaflex hlf which this is clearly not.

This is an odd one. The HE is sealed, square box, no towel bar, etc. This is clearly ported, tilt back, towel bar. All signs point to HLF, but 8 ohms and smaller than another HLF? Weird.

Ampeg did have a lot of variations on cabs in the 90s, maybe this was a one off or something else? Or just mislabeled? Doesn’t explain the size difference. I would definitely check the impedance and/or pull a speaker and check the markings. It should be marked with the speaker impedance, HE use 32 ohm in parallel, I believe the HLF are 4 ohm in series/parallel. You can also see if the part numbers align with replacement parts out there in the wild.

11. dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    It is indeed loaded and wired as an HLF- four 4ohm Eminence drivers. So how I’ve never blown an amp using this guy blows my mind lol.

Attached Files:

EatS1stBassist and CTBassGuy like this.
  12. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    What head have you been using?

13. dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    I’ve used multiple with it-
    Most recently a V4B reissue out of the 8ohm output
    Have also used a pf800, my SVT-VR, and a GBE1200 through it.

14. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    As my grandmother always said, “I’d rather be lucky than good, any day!”

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I already went over this with you elsewhere, but for the record, tube amps generally have not much problem with a 2:1 impedance mismatch either way. Jess Oliver often used to recommend using a 4 ohm speaker with the B-15 because he liked the way it tightened up the sound. And Ampeg transformers are usually so overbuilt that there's almost zero risk.

16. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    I'm thinking somebody just stuck the wrong sticker on it at the factory.

17. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Yep looks like a mislabel. Now trade it in for a pair of 410HE's! ;)

JeezyMcNuggles likes this.
  18. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    Maybe an early hlf? Before they decided to make them 4ohm to compensate for the extra power consumption of the extended low end, and changed the name to hlf. Something like that. Who really knows though.

Or, just a mislabeled HLF

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If you’re not the original owner maybe it was serviced and the jackplate got swapped somewhere along the line? As in Franken-Cab?

You could always try sending a query to Ampeg. Maybe they can help you out.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I do, and so do you.

Exactly. The 410hlf in all its iterations has been 4 ohms from jump until the PF410hlf in 2014 or 15.

JeezyMcNuggles likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021