Fellow baldies - What do you use to shave?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Dec 2, 2003.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As some of you may have noticed, I recently shaved my head.

I would just like some feedback on what kind of shaving cream, gel or oil you use, and what razor?

Also, is anybody using an electric razor? Is there an electric that gets as close as say, a Mach III?
  2. just curious, how often must you shave it?
  3. embellisher

Looks like about 4 times a week, if I want little or no stubble.
  4. embellisher

Hey! My head isn't that big!
  5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Jeff, I posted a reply on this elsewhere in an attempted hijacking, but I don't remember where it is...

I used a mach 3 a couple times, and for me, it didn't feel that great, was a real mess, time consuming, and I pretty much always needed help. I have a small mole on the back of my head, which can turn into a massacre.

I decided to try an electric razor, and went to wal-mart and picked up a Remington R 845. I think it was around $50, cordless, and it has a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it. So whats to lose? It does take a bit for your skin to adjust to it, but it is very easy, and comfortable (no cream needed). Plus, you can do it as you watch TV, surf the net, or even on your way to work, if you're in a pinch for time.

I'll never go back.....although, I still do use the mach 3 for my face, it just works better for me.

Here is a pic of a very sunburned me last summer, with my new (then) niece.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    When I started, I used a mach 4 with edge gel. Then just recently I started using my Nerelco Advantage. It was just too much of a pain to go through the whole blade shaving ritual every other day. I think the results are great with the electric.
  7. I use some kind of green gel and Gilette Sensor. I do it every two days, except now, I haven't since last friday because I hit my head somewhere and I have a scar. Should be able to do it soon, though.

Electric razors don't do it for me. Not close enough. I like it shiny! :p
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I just use a straight razor-nice and smooth.

Oh wait, you mean bald heads....
  9. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I do the Mach III with dove soap on Sunday and then Norelco for the rest of the week.
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use a Wahl electric shaver. I do it every three days or so.

That's the best goofy face I can make.
  11. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Back when I was going hairless, I primarily used an electric razor - forget the brand/model but I suppose most will work just fine, though none as close as a blade. I used a blade for 'special occasions.'

One recommendation I'd make on an electric, if you plan on buying one: Purchase one that you can buy new heads/blades for relatively cheaply. Fresh, new heads on a cheap electric are better than worn ones on an expensive one...

12. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Electric razors don't do it for me...they leave too much stubble. I use a Mach 3 in the shower every single morning...my wife likes it really smooth.
  13. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Electric razor no attatchments. And I'm so overdue.

14. For those times when I do go bald, I use Edge gel and a Mach 3. Of course, since I don't have any facial hair to shave, that's the only use my Mach 3 ever sees. :p
  15. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    This is my formula exactly.

16. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Here's an old thread to bump up... :D

Over the past month or so, I have been using a #3, #2 and last night I finally hit the #1 on my head. My wife loves it, but would really like me to shave it all off. I don't have a problem with it...really I don't....what scares me is the whole "my face is brown and my head is not so brown".... how long did it take you guys to tan your head? Did you just stay in the sun? What did you do?

I have Monday off...I was planning on doing it Friday so in case it didn't come out great, I would have until Tuesday morning to grow back some. :D
  17. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Can't you play "Let's make a deal! I'll shave it all if you will!"
    with her?

Only fair IMHO!
  18. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    She already cut her hair...
  19. HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    The majority of the men in my family are bald, so I am assuming that I too will be bald. However, I do not wish to have the "halo of hair" look, so....
    How often do you have to shave your head?
    Do you have problems with getting an even tan?
    Is it hard to shave the back of your head?
    Are scars hard to shave around?
    Do you have to buy smaller hats?
    Is it expensive to maintain(buying shaving cream, razors)?