Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fellow english geeks, UNITE!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fenderx55, Dec 21, 2005.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Hey, I'm pounding out this bs paper for my lit interp class that's on strike, and I've forgotten how to parenthetically quote shakespeare, and my MLA book's at still at school.

Is it:
    She slips into the roll of a male with great ease and it is this ease that Olivia falls in love with, not Orsino’s pathetic—though sincere—pestering. She goes so far as to bid Viola to “never speak again of him,” and takes a private audience with the young “man” (III.1.110)

I don't see any other way of doing it...

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    That's the way I'd do it, although, I'd do the reference in a foot note.

Although, for what it's worth I wouldn't say that Viola does slip into the "role of a man" with ease - It holds her back in more ways than one. (For a good example of a Shakespearian cross-dresser who is empowered by her cross dressing look at Portia in Measure for Measure!)

Be careful of saying things like "Viola cross-dresses as a man, and this cross dressing allowed Shakespeare to show the transient nature of human sexuality." - It doesn't. Remember that Viola herself says in Act 3 "Disguise thou art a wickedness" as the disguise and her altered state prevent her from fulfilling her ambitions for Orsino. Also, Viola is the character who seems least transient in the play, where as the majority of the other characters in similar positions seem self-indulgently lovesick, Viola is the only one who seems morally and passionately in love.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Don't forget the period at the end!

4. According to my

Turabian, K. L., "A manual for writers of term papers, theses, and dissertations", 6th ed., The University of Chigago Press, 1996.

It is all arabic numerals