Fellow GEEZERS, Is the Bag End S15D the answer to my aching back?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Sep 7, 2001.

1. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    My 45 year old back is telling me that maybe it's time to go with a lighter system. Right now I am hauling an Ampeg 410 cab and Ampeg 118 cab. Both of these cabs are in the 90 -100 pound range, but they both have casters to roll them on. The amp that I am using is a solid state Ampeg that weighs 50 pounds. I guess my questions are,

#1 Will 2 Bag End S15D's and an Ampeg B2r be a good set up for a fairly loud classic rock band? (fairly loud drummer and 1 guitar with 100watt combo) This seems like a very portable rig. I might consider putting the speakers on stands angled up at me.

#2 Will hauling 2 short 45 pound speakers that I have to bend over to pick up and carry to my truck be easier than rolling 2 -90 pound speakers to my truck then lifting them in?

I don't see myself hauling the Ampeg stuff around when I'm 60 :eek:
  2. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I'm 52 and the Bag End is great for me. I was hauling around Peavey stuff for many years and it just got too old....especially after gigs.
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Hand Truck!

I don't particularly enjoy carrying my two 70lb EA cabinets and 6 space rack, which feels at least as heavy, but the sound is worth it! And the hand truck limits the lifting and toting distances.

An extra 10 minutes or less and extra 30lbs per is well worth 4 sets of pure bliss . :D

4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I totally agree with Bob! A good handtruck is a must for us geezers. I use a Harper with inflatable wheels (a must if you have to load-in over gravel or grass occasionally, and who doesn't?). Best of all, it has a high-impact plastic frame that flexes with stair rails on the back. I call it the "world's greatest handtruck." It's rated to haul 600lbs, more than any sane bassist will every need, I figure. Got mine at Home Depot, about 40 bucks, I think. Very light to toss in on top of the load, too. I never cary ANYTHING into a club that can be put on that handtruck!

My recommendation? Take the casters off those cabs and load 'em in/out with a good handtruck and keep the gear you've got. If you use good lifting procedures (knees, knees, knees) and bring the load up to the vehicle so you can lift the top cab off the bottom one, for instance, you'll save that old back o' yours!

Good luck, old fellow. :) Hey, I've got two years on ya and I still use a Mesa Booge 400+ and two Eden cabs at almost every gig.
  5. I'm 50 and hauling a pair of 15" subs and a 2x10, all home rolled from 3/4" MDF. The cabs aren't too bad, all are well over 100 pounds each. The real problem is my 10 space rack at 165 pounds. Too damn heavy. I have to split the rack and put the power amp (69 pounds) in its own rack to make the weight more manageable.

A quality hand truck with pneumatic tires is a very good idea.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I use smaller cabs (currently Eden D210XLT and/or EA VL-110 and/or Aguilar GS112) AND a hand cart, a Kart-a-bag that I've had for about 15 years and it's still almost like new. One trip load-ins/ breakdowns are the way to go for me.

Pulling my car or van into the garage after a gig is pretty nice, too;)
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Ain't it so? I NEVER load-in at home after a gig, just pull the truck in the garage and bring down that steel door. Besides, I enjoy the Sat./Sun. morning ritual of leisurely unloading everything and making sure it's all stowed just right. When I get home from a gig, usually at 2:30 to 3:00am, it's a bite to eat, a little TV and coma-time!:D
  8. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Damn you guys and your garages too!
  9. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Getting back to the Bag End cab: I have one and have gigged with it powered by an Eden WT300 and it was enough for the stage.I was,however running the Eden's XLR into a 3000 watt PA with refrigerator sized subs.It's one of the most efficient 1x15 cabs around,I'm real happy with it.
  10. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Oh by the way,
    I am also sending a signal to the PA system so I don't depend on my bass rig to fill the room with sound
  11. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Can't go wrong with the Flite Sound cabs. I replaced my Eden 210XLT's with a pair of Flites and couldn't be happier.
    The Flites only weigh about 30-35 lbs each!
  12. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    My usual small rig is a Bag End S15X-D with an Eden WT-800. It works out great because I can carry the speaker in one hand and the amp, in a rack bag in the other. With the gig bag on the back I can cover some ground in one trip. :D

I was just up at BassNW and they, again said that their usual speaker cab of choice is either one or two Bag End 15's. They also said that they sell around 8 of these cabs a week.
  13. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If you like the sound of Ampeg cabs you should check out Ashdowns mini 15 cab. It´s a bit more vintagesounding, delivers 300W RMS and is the same size and weight as the Bag ends. Check them out on bass nw´s site.
    That´s the way I will go as soon as they are available in Sweden.
  14. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I hate lugging gear. I mean HATE it, so alot
    of my gear selection revolves around weight
    and size of the eq.

Currently, I have an Ampeg SVT3-pro and
    2 Bag End S-15D's (no coaxial). I do play
    an active bass and do a little slapping, so
    I actually regretted not getting a coaxial
    in one of them. $200 does seem really
    excessive for a coaxial, but if you do any
    kind of slapping, tapping, etc. I recommend

I solved the problem by buying an SWR
    goliath jr. 2x10. When I am playing music
    that requires crisp high-end, I play the
    SWR with a Bag End. Most of the time
    I am playing the Bag Ends though. I paid
    $375 for the SWR in mint condition. By
    the way, I picked the SWR because it
    was one of the easiest to carry. The
    Eden 2x10xlt is NOT easy to carry IMO.

The Bag Ends are REALLY easy to cart

The Ampeg you mentioned would certainly
    be enough to drive them. They are
    quite efficient. If you really wanted to
    reduce your rig weight, pick up an Eden
    WT400 (very small and light). I prefer
    the tone to Ampeg too, but YMMV.

In short, another Bag End recommendation.
  15. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well I've pretty much decided that the Ampeg B2r and 2 Bag End S15 rig is the way I'm going. :) Now I just have to convince myself to put my other gear up for sale. :(
    and my wife even says that I should buy the new rig :eek:
  16. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    great choice!

2 s-15d's and a b2 = 41 + 41 + 15 = < 100lb
    rig total. Lighter than a single Ampeg cab

plus you only have to bring 1 15 when that's
    all you need.
  17. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Ampeg and Hartke rigs up for sale now on several internet sites. (including this one) wish me luck, it's not always easy to sell used stuff. I'm going to have to put this system together one piece at a time as I can afford it.
  18. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Is that the BagEnd which is ELF adapatable?

If so, that 15 could give you lows like a sub for another $700 while keeping its portability.
  19. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I could be wrong but I don't think it is. I will let the 18's in the PA cover the low end
  20. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    nah, the S-15D isn't ELF capable. $700 would
    blow this very nicely budgeted rig as well. he's
    currently looking at:

2 bag ends: ~$800
    Ampeg B2: ~$550
    total: ~$1400 (assuming tax or shipping)

I'm not sure a 50% increase would be worth
    it. If you were going to put any more money
    into the rig, I would put it in the head. 350W
    at 4ohms should be plenty of volume for all
    but the loudest jams, but it never hurts to
    have a little headroom. My svt3-pro has 450W
    and I've turned up the volume as much as 50%
    which was too loud a gig for my tastes (gain
    was at 1/4). The B2 should be just fine (plus
    it's 10 lbs lighter than the svt3pro).

If you really wanted to get snazzy, I would
    do a QSC1602 power amp and get a used