Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fellow pick players........

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by LiNT, Jan 7, 2001.

1. LiNT

LiNT

Aug 30, 2000
    Allright guys....haven't picked up my bass in a while...about 2 months...and I've always played with a pick...for like 2 and a half years now......I can do both fingers and pick...but I like the pick better...anyways...my problem...my speed is still just as good...but my switching from string to string quickly for the faster bass lines has gotten sloppy....any excercises that you suggest to improve my switching?
    Thanks in advance.

2. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    I always use the -1-2-3-4- to improve and to warm my fingers up ! you can be creative about it, switch over bigger gaps etc. but I don't understand in which hand the problem occurs
    anyhow I've been noticing when I 'm nervous ( all the time )I start to bounce my fingers at stuff and now I use it to improve rithm feels etc.
    what I'm saying = be creative and make some practice exercises ;) and don't let a dust coat get on your bass
    :mad: ;)

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    String skipping is *the* primary impedement to fast plectrum playing. Unless you want to limit yourself to sweep-picked lines (not so good for the bass), the only answer I can give you is practice your alternate picking at a slow tempo and gradually increase your speed. If you want a good mindless exercise, play four notes per string, ascending and descending; you don't even have to use your left hand. Once you can do that, go to two notes per string, then one note per string (using alternate strokes).

4. LiNT

LiNT

Aug 30, 2000
    yeah WJ...i think i know what you're talkin about...the "bouncing" hand/pick off the string...it gets a good rythym and a different sound which is awesome for certain types of music (alot of ska mainly)..just gotta be careful you're not slappin the string below with you're thumb...yeah....well..i got impatient with the replies and i just picked up my bass and started goin crazy....i got my quick octaves back and such...tore the skin right off my thumb actully...but thanks for the advice guys...and I'll never let my bass sit for that long again!....oh yeah...and another question...if there's any Rancid fans out there that are in love with Matt Freeman as much as I am..lemme know if you can figure out "Axiom" or "Young Al Capone"..cus I'll be damned if I could figure those lines out...a bit too crazy for me....

5. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    well .. I was talking about bouncing at stuff whatever I can gets my hands on :) But shure the best way is on your bass :):):) You'll get the picture :cool:

6. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    I really like those :) 's