Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Felt picks?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Johnny Flash, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Johnny Flash

Johnny Flash

Jan 2, 2004
    Anyone here used them before? Oppinions? Brands? I'm thinking of ordering but i've never used them before.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I use them with my ABG - no idea as to brand. They're the white oval ones, although I've used the taco chip shaped grey ones at times. They give me great tone.

3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I use Dunlop Felt Picks for certain thang's.

[​IMG]

4. meandnooneelse

meandnooneelse

Jun 12, 2009
    Albany, GA
    I only recently heard of felt picks. I wish I had discovered them sooner! Such a useful tool. I would describe the sound as much like finger picking, but with more attack, not bright like a normal pick. Plus I like that they are thick. That helps to prevent my hand from cramping.

5. lostreality

lostreality

Sep 2, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I'm used to Tortex Sharps so I can really hear the transition. I like the sound of felt, personally

6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Felt picks - rabbit fur everywhere. My pick of choice is a Big Stubby 2.0 to 3.0mm. I have used 1.00 mm picks and they are OK, but, I normally like the thicker pick. I sometime use a thumb pick and I would guess it to be just under 1.00mm. Never seen a really thick wrap around your thumb pick.

Long story short anything from 1.00 to 3.00mm. And no, I do not care for felt picks.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Not for me. I'd rather use a regular flat pick (1.0mm or more) if I'm going to use a pick at all.

8. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    The only type of pick that I enjoy is the Big Stubby 3mm or more ( the purple one ). The attack is soft compare to a regular pick which is more trebly

9. Maureen M

Maureen M

Nov 5, 2016
    NY/MA
    I like felt picks now and then for recording. I'm a pick player in general, and sometimes I needed a softer, rounder tone that still had the articulation I wanted.
    Try some! They're cheap and it's a fun experiment.

10. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    never tried felt, but these give me the finger tone with more attack as felt is supposed to - Wedgie rubber picks

upload_2016-12-6_11-53-22.jpeg

gln1955 and Doner Designs like this.
  11. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    I like the sound but the felt goes everywhere including getting stuck "in" the strings. I use the green polymer Micks Pics which come packaged with felt pics but I don't use the felt.

12. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

+1 on the Wedgies - Really like them.

Doner Designs likes this.
  13. I remember buying one in the early 70s as I transitioned to playing with my fingers. No big loss... I had terrible pick technique.

14. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I love those rubber picks. Fabulous invention. I always have two in my pocket.

15. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Picked up some of the Micks Pics last night to give them a try.

16. Maureen M

Maureen M

Nov 5, 2016
    NY/MA
    I've never seen those - going to order some to try them out.
    Thanks!

17. gln1955

gln1955

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Another fan of the Wedgie here.:thumbsup:

18. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    I've tried all kinds of pics, and the green micks pics easily won over the others. Not too hard or soft, just right. I just wish they also made them with tapered edges and not just squared off. I've seen promotional key rings made with the same polymer attached advertising and also coin holders that you squeeze to open made out of very similar stuff.

19. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Now i am intrigued. is the material amenable to high grit sandpaper?

20. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Don't like 'em. Wanted 'em to sound softer, but they still had too much of a pick-attack for me.

I just use my thumb.