Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Felt picks

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Persuader, Feb 24, 2001.

1. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    Thanks for all the advice on vintage tone(strings)! As a followup;did Sir Paul use felt picks to soften the tone and what is anyone's experience with felt picks ?

2. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum!!

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't know if he did. As I mentioned in that thread, when I thought I was trying to be McCartney, Jr., I used a felt pick because it gave me a softer tone than the Hercos I had.

It was one of those things that came about because there really weren't any "rules" about bass at the time, other than the fact that they all had 4 strings then. I just walked into Mel Bay for my lesson one Saturday and saw felts and thought I'd try one.

That plus flatwound Fenders on my Hofner copy got me as close as I could get with the resources I had. Playing through the Vox Royal Guardsman was a mistake, though.

4. I use them regularly to get more vintage tones. I only have one bass so I can't put flatwounds on (imagine Higher Ground on flats?!) so i use these picks...close as i can get to Paul or JPJ.

5. I moved this thread to Technique, but it's still in the strings forum, to redirect.

6. I have a felt pick, but I can't use it anymore. Maybe it was just cheap, but I used it so much that the tip got all floppy now it just sounds like crap.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yep, there's no way around that. I think they're really intended for ukeleles

8. Mine's get very soft on the top, but not floppy. That's the way i like them.