1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Felt Picks

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Noobs, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Noobs

Noobs

Feb 11, 2008
    Does anyone here use the large feltpicks? I think they are generally called ukelele picks? I heard Gene Simmons used one. Any truth to that,

2. I tried it, it destroyed my elixirs. I mostly keep it around for novelty.

3. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    I mainly play fingerstyle but always carry different picks in my wallet. I do use feltpicks as well. Bought a bunch of these after reading that Steve Swallow used them. I wouldn't know if this is true, but I sure like them a lot whenever I need a less "clacky" attack. Can't imagine felt being worst on Elixirs than any other picks...
    Try a brass pick on Elixirs....:D

4. Now you're just trying to be smart with me :eyebrow:

lol :D

5. Noobs

Noobs

Feb 11, 2008
    I use one once in a while to . Different sound. A little softer

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I bought one and played around with it...kinda cool but im not a pick player...my fingers are my picks.

7. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I used 'em back in the day (the day being the late '70's - :D) Hard to find these days, it seems. There is a folk music store around here that has them, but that's about it that I know of. They do warm up the pick sound, for sure.

8. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    a ukulele playing friend of mine has some, IMO they have a sound that's somewhere in between pick and fingerstyle, but as they get broken in they get closer to a fingerstyle tone. also, they don't seem to agree with roundwounds as they are very soft.

9. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
  10. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I tried one years ago- immediately turned to lint.:confused:

11. Noobs

Noobs

Feb 11, 2008
    I dont use a pick normally. I didnt have a problem finding them. Once it was broken in it was better, they are pretty hard at first

12. Felt picks are great. I always keep several on hand. I break them in by bending the tip back and forth and rolling it up and down. I love the sound I get (J + Chromes) with a well broken-in pick.

13. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    i always just broke them in by using them, i guess I'll have to try your method sometime.

14. Noobs

Noobs

Feb 11, 2008
    I rub the tip on concrete, almost bringing it to a small point if I can