1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Felt Picks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mrx41862, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Hi,

I'm not sure what forum this should be in so I'll ask it here. About 28 years ago when I started playing bass, I started playing with these large felt picks. Within a few months I became a fingerstyle player and never looked back, except to jam on the occasional Yes tune. I recently was thinking about these old felt picks and am wondering...Do they still make these felt picks, and if so where might I find some. Most of my local music store guys look at me like I have 2 heads when I metion the felt picks.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Hah! When I was trying to sound like McCartney's Hofner in the late 60's, Mrx, I used felt picks with flatwounds to get that "thumpy" tone.

They're ukulele picks....(sure lost their stiffness quickly for me!). If you don't have someplace local, check out a ukulele source like www.elderly.com to find them.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can get them in almost any music store - at least here in Germany, I don't know why :p

But I don't like them. I prefer thin Sharkfins - or my fingers of course.

4. i'm actually going to move this to a different forum

5. OK, I said I wasn't sure , but where is it going to be?:eek:

6. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I used to use them too, when I played an old Gibson G-3. Haven't seen them in decades. I didn't know they were ukelele picks. Learned something.

Dale

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I keep a bunch around for my ABG.