Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Felt rings with my Pirastro Olivs and Garbo problems.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by MarkH, Jul 29, 2003.

1. MarkH

MarkH

Apr 12, 2003
    London, U.K.
    Hi There,

I've just recieved my mail order Oliv G&D strings after recurring problems with rattling Velvet Garbos.

Can anyone tell me what the felt rings are for...?

There seem to be two on each string.... I can only assume they must be used at the nut and the bridge somehow.

The Garbos sound great, but two different D strings have started to develop a strange rattle after a couple of months of regular gigging.

Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks,

Mark H.

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS

3. MarkH

MarkH

Apr 12, 2003
    London, U.K.
    Thanks Monte,

Yeah, there seems to be about 3 points where the winding seems to be disrupted and they're both around the bridge and nut areas...

I have a great luthier and I've checked the nut and the bridge, they seem pretty smooth at the point of contact.
    I’ve always put graphite on when changing strings and never had this problem before with spiros, innovation etc etc.

I don’t use the A & E strings so I don’t know whether this is a problem with all the strings (the G string doesn’t seem to be wound), but I know a guy who had trouble with his A string.

These strings are the best strings I ever played and they record beautifully, but if it is the string and not the bass that’s the problem, it’s going to make using them pretty difficult.

I actually endorse (or ‘believe in’, as it says on the website) the Velvets and wrote them a strong letter as I had to change the string in the middle of a studio session yesterday and wasn’t very happy about it.

Could it be that just regular hard playing is causing this and that it’s par for the course.
    I’m a bit confused as to whether I should just forget about using the D string and stick with my new Oliv D, which is nice but not really balanced with the Garbo G…..

Cheers,

Mark H.

4. MarkH

MarkH

Apr 12, 2003
    London, U.K.
    'Just to say that following my letter to Velvet they stuck a new D string in the post immediately, with apologies etc..

Let’s hope this one works out.

Full credit to them for being so gracious and quick though.

If any one else has had a similar experience with these strings I’d be really interested to know.

All the best,

Mark.