Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Felt washer?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dan1099, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    So i pulled my bass out of the bag the other day at practice, and I noticed my strap peg was jiggling around a little bit. Upon inspection, i noticed that while the screw was still firmly in place, the felt pad that goes between the peg and the body was missing, thus allowing the peg to move around on the screw. I don't know how this went missing, or whatever, but it's definitely gone. It looks like I could probably tighten the screw down, forgoing the use of the felt pad, but I don't know if that's a good idea. Is there any place I can buy these or something?

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You could actually go to an arts and crafts store, buy a piece of felt for like $.50, and cut out as many washers you want. They're there to protect the finish while you tighten the screw.

3. In my experience, larger hardware stores usually cary these in the "specialty" bins.

Mike

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It does protect the finish, but isn't really necessary. A lot of basses come without them.

5. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    Maybe this may be of use...

I know that the strap pegs can come loose over time as the peg can rotate as you move around from doing :bassist:. I suppose the felt washer protects the finish, like mentioned earlier.

What I've done to eliminate loose strap pegs is to substitute the felt washer with a ring that I cut out of double-sided foam tape. That way, the peg can't rotate and loosen the screw and you still protect the finish!

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    The washer is also used to hide if the hole for the strap button was drilled at an angle by mistake. On my Jazz the button at the end of the body wasn't drilled straight, so if the pad isn't there, it's very noticeable that the button doesn't sit flush against the body.

7. You can get a perfect replacement for them at Home Depot or any other hardware store. What you look for are the adhesive backed felt pads for sticking to knick-knacks. They don't have a hole but that an easy fix. They come in white, brown, black, and green. The adhesive on the back makes it easy to stick them to the bass and then install the button.

8. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Where can you get the plastic discs that are sometimes used on more higher end basses?

9. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Where at at Home Depot? I work there on the weekends, and I've never seen anything like this. Unless you mean those felt pads used to slide chairs and tables on wood floors, but I'd think those are too big, and WAY too thick.

10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    They do make smaller ones that are maybe the size of a dime, maybe alittle smaller, and about the same thickness of your old pad.

11. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX

Not that suprising, and nothing personal. I have had employees at Home Depot tell me that not only don't they sell something, but that it is not even made. Never mind that I already own some . . . And then spot the item directly behind them while they are spewing this line of total BS . . . Granted, not all are like that, but I view Home Depot as the WalMart of the home supply world - you better know what you want before you go in, because good help is pretty darn rare . . . . Perhaps you are that exception . . . .

- Tim

12. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    It varies from person to person at my store. Some people are great, others don't give a damn. Also, in a HUGE store like that, it's pretty hard to know everything about everything. We have literally 125,000 different products. I don't work in the hardware department (where this would be located) so I don't know everything that's there. But I DO know these products exist, just didn't know we had them in such a small size.

13. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    they also sell these at MUSIC stores.

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Dan, the tiny rubber 0-rings in the plumbing aisle would work, too.

That would be entirely too simple ;)