Female TB'ers...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RedBastard, Aug 23, 2009.

1. I did a search looking for a thread for female bass players here and although I did find a few, most had either; been initiated as a negative femo rant, been trolled to death, or turned into a thread for blokes to post promo pics of their favourite chick bassists (not a bad thing in itself). So before I try and start another one and post pics I thought I'd ask you locals if there's a thread I should've jumped on that I haven't found?

2. rosanne

rosanne

Sep 30, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Don't think I know of any that are outside the categories you listed......

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If only considering the music... what makes a female bass player different from male?

4. Hmmmm......Very interesting question. I'm inquisitive myself.:eyebrow:

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    What's "a negative femo rant"? :eyebrow:

(watches thread really closely)

6. Byzcat

Byzcat

Aug 3, 2009
    Lynn, Mass
    OK, here's my "negative femo rant".

When I was with my "band" (four people, two of us actually knew how to play our instruments, the other two were the guitarists- and no, this is not a "gui****" joke, these guys had dropped lots of money on expensive axes that would have been better spent on lessons, and learned a couple of chords out of a book- getting together to abuse substances and musical instruments on Sunday afternoons).

We all worked in the warehouse of a music store.

One of our coworkers went to one of the "guitarists" (who was my BF at the time) and asked, "I hear Byzcat's your bass player. Is she any good?"

BF confirmed that I was, in fact good (good being a relative term, but hey, at least I knew the minor pentatonic scale, which was more than either of the guitarists knew).

Nobody ever came up to me and asked, "I hear (XBF, other idiot) plays guitar in your band. Is he any good?" Or "I hear (music store owner's nephew) is your drummer. Is he any good?" (Actually, he was the best musician in the band, by several orders of magnitude)

Because I'm a woman, it was assumed that I couldn't actually play.

And I've heard many musicians say "I wouldn't have a chick in the band unless she was either really good looking, or really, really good."

And that's my negative femo rant. Enjoy the rest of the thread.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I used to have a female guitar player years and years ago. She played a hot pink strat, and she friggin ROCKED! The only real issues I've had with chicks in bands is the guitar player that was "God's gift to women" that kept trying to hook up with the female vocalists.

8. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

There is a thread about female bassists in a forum called the Lobby which is only open to Supporting Members.

It's a rather good thread actually, and it's one of the best
    threads in that forum.

There aren't that many female TB'ers because somehow the teenage sausage fest
    seems to drive them off quickly.

9. djero44

djero44

Mar 3, 2009
    Paonia Colorado

Lol, I had a feeling!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021