Female vocalist + groovy funk underline

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I was running through some of my mp3's of The Roots and came across one particular song, "Sweetest Taboo". It's got the band doing the normal hip hop thing but with this amazing female vocalist instead of the standard rap. There's a song by the Groove Collective called "Lift Off" with a similar feel -- the band doing their thing, but with a female vocalist. Are there any other songs by these bands, or a group with this kind of feel?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    On the Root's album "do you want more?!?" the same girl does some spoken word poetry behind a very groovy beat. track called "the unlocking"

Hieroglyphics latest album 'full circle' features a female singer named Goapele, she sings on "make your move" and "full circle"(a very nice performance on this one)

Also she is on their single "soweto" but only for the chorus.

I'm not very savvy on the black eyed peas, but I know they have at least one female vocalist, who is often featured.

those are my suggestions from the hip hop world.
  3. Dig.

Brand New Heavies: Funky soul. Bassist Andrew Levy holds a good groove, too. I've got "Shelter" and "Brother Sister". My collection will grow. A must have for P- Bass owners.

Me'shell Ndegeocello: She plays mighty fine bass! If you plan to check her out, start with her older stuff, which, I believe, one might be more apt to feel right away. Some just don't know how good she is.

Esthero: "Breath From Another" is a tasteful fusion of electronic, r&b, rock and jazz. an interesting amalgam. This is a CD I've bought more than once.

Amel Larrieux: Beautiful singer, great musicians. Try "Infinite Possibilities". The basslines are smooth. Wow.

Les Nubians: Also does a French rendition of Sade's "Sweetest Taboo". On "Princesses Nubiennes," my favorite of theirs', I believe the bassist uses a highly desirable LeFay Bass. Smooth lines.

Erykah Badu: Her Baduizm "live" CD is a modern r&b staple. Hubert throws down on his MTD. He knows how to use that "B".

Ursula Rucker: This is who Wrong Robot hears on The Roots' "Do You Want More?" song "The Unlocking." She has done countless works with artists like 4hero and Jazzanova- those I also recommend.

Some stuff I've heard from the Jazzyfatnastees, King Britt=Sylk 130 is cool- as well as guru's hip-hop "Jazzmatazz" comps.

This is a taste.

Sip well.

"Up Up and Away..."