SOLD Fender ‘74 AVRI “Pure Vintage” Jazz Bass Pickup Set

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by The Bass Clef, Aug 28, 2018.

1. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Price:
    $90
    Nice set of American Vintage ‘74 Jazz Bass pickups in original box. Very lightly used. They were in a bass I built, but the buyer wanted to put his own pickups in it, so I removed these. About 20 minutes of use on them. No ground plates or mounting screws. Lead wires are still nice and long. Good, strong output. Sound fantastic (IMO, these are some of the best reissue pickups Fender has ever made)!

$90 Shipped (USA)
    Paypal accepted.

9C88EE4A-4D06-4EE8-A5CF-5DF2D54ECDE4.jpeg
    9BED7DE4-EC5C-40E4-B670-481F0E0033CB.jpeg
    7B244A69-5FB7-412D-8AE9-A1707852301A.jpeg
    D52AF1C9-FB30-48CD-9924-149240FD8412.jpeg
    679884AF-13C5-48BD-8233-D4397B0951DF.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Spidey2112 and FronTowardEnemy like this.
  2. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    Great pickups. I have them in my one and only Jazz Bass right now.

The Bass Clef likes this.
  3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Hypothetical question: Assuming you've had the chance to compare, how do they stand up against Fender Custom Shop '60s pickups? Texture, output, more/less aggressive, etc…?

I have a line on a similarly priced set of CS '60s, but I saw these pop up just before I pulled the trigger on 'em. They'd be going into a parts-bass o' mine built up around an MIM Classic '70s Jazz body, complete with the wider pickup spacing.

Spidey2112 and FronTowardEnemy like this.
  4. FronTowardEnemy

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    Well I’ve never tried the CS 60s, mostly due to my 70s Jazz Bass preferences, so i can’t compare the two.

I play P’s now so I haven’t touched my Jazz in 18 months and I sold off all my Jazzes and kept my 2013 Fender MIJ Classic 70’s Jazz Bass (75 RI).

I have the Fender Pure Vintage
    74s in it.

This video pretty much explains it all.

The only reason I seen this thread is because I have my keywords set to trigger these pickups which don’t come up for sale too often.

I would get these for sure. Pure 70s tone.

I love my P’s 50’s and My J’s 70’s.

YMMV

Edit
    Not to hijack the thread so I hope this helps a little.
    Here is my video of how the pickups sound in the hands of a hack.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Malak the Mad and Spidey2112 like this.
  5. Malak the Mad

Thanks @FronTowardEnemy, that vid, along with the others covering the AVRI '74, sounds pretty great. Also, the EQ ratings look stronger than the CS '60s. Here's what each tout…
    • '74 Jazz Neck
    • Bass: 6 (out of 10)
    • Mid: 5
    • Treble: 5
    • '74 Jazz Bridge
    • Bass: 4
    • Mid: 7
    • Treble: 6
    • CS '60s Jazz Neck & Bridge
    • Bass: 6
    • Mid & Treble: 4
    I've had CS'60s before, ones that came stock in an MIA Standard Jazz, and they were pretty growly, but not sacrificing the low-end. It looks like the '74s are even growlier. And on the low-end, the neck pickup should more than take up the slack of bridge. I'm guessing it's fair to say it's got a lot of kick, yes?

FronTowardEnemy likes this.
  6. FronTowardEnemy

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    Yes. They have kick and bite. Definately a throaty aggressive pickup IME.

7. Malak the Mad

Captain, my instruments fail to see any reading of "Rampant Hackery" on my scope. All I detect is a solid bassline being played on a lovely instrument. Perhaps the reports were exaggerated? Shall we move on to the next sector?

spock.jpg

8. Malak the Mad

Then that's good enough for me! PM's away, Captain! :thumbsup:
    (My god, I'm such a nerd! :bookworm: :rolleyes:)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021