1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Fender “Suhr Era” Deluxe Active Jazz 4 1997 Mint Price Drop

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by EyeBoy, Nov 18, 2018.

1. EyeBoy

EyeBoy Gold Supporting Member

Price:
    Strings:
    This is a fantastic, all-stock example of one of the high-points of Fender bass history, built in 1997. The body is two-piece swamp ash in a sunburst finish. The neck is one-piece maple with a rosewood, 22-fret board in a satin finish. Fender-Suhr humcancelling pickups with four large pole pieces. Preamp is three-band, 9V. Controls are: master volume, blend, bass/treble boost/cut stack and mid boost/cut. Bridge is two-way (top-load or string-through). Bass weighs 9 lbs., 1 oz. It is in mint condition, with no dents or scratches and comes in its mint-condition OEM ‘machine gun-style’ molded case with original papers. Shipping is free in CONUS. Sorry, not interested in trades at the moment.

FenderSuhrbod.JPG

2. EyeBoy

3. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Wow sweet J. Are you sure it's swamp ash body wood? My understanding is that sunburst is typically over alder on the vast majority of Fender basses. It actually looks like alder.

petch likes this.
  4. EyeBoy

Yup, definitely swamp ash. It's the opposite - Fender (and most others) tend to use swamp ash for transparent finishes because of the more dramatic grain, reserving alder for opaque finishes.

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  5. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

. 90D94A38-3232-4329-9957-865C75220679.
    plus the grain is always very pronounced on ash. Alder is more 'plain' looking; the grain doesn't 'pop' as much. (the above pic is an example of ash). I personally prefer the tone of alder. But both are great.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  6. EyeBoy

You're right about alder, but the grain on this bass is much more pronounced on other photos I have (available on request). I haven't been able to find an "official Fender" page that describes these basses.

7. EyeBoy

fendersuhrbodbk2-.

8. EyeBoy

The photo above shows the grain better than the originals I posted. The grains tend to be thick and farther apart than alder, but I know there is some overlap (e.g., looking on the Warmoth website). If anyone out there has a 'wood DNA' test, let me know!

9. EyeBoy

Update: I have received a PM from one TBer with knowledge of Fender basses from this era (1997, N7 296XXX serial number), suggesting that alder is more likely than ash in a sunburst finish. So, if you were waiting for the answer 'alder' before buying this bass, go for it!

10. EyeBoy

Sold for $1240 elsewhere.