1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 08 P or Orange AD200?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godspeed68, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Stay safe and pay off the Glaub and wait for it!

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Get the modded P5, it's a good compliment for the Glaub!

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Get the AD200 as a backup!

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I decided to repost this in the BG Forum instead of "Other" because it didn't get very many views, and I'm trying to decide whether or not I'm going to keep a bass, so here goes:

Alright, here's my deal:

I currently play through (aside from all effects) a Fender MIA 62 RI Jazz, Mesa 400 (Non plus) loaded with KT88's into a Berg NV610.

I just pulled the trigger on a Lakland USA Glaub P/J (Shoreline Gold in case anyone is wonderin') that should arrive by mid November. Payed for half of it right away ($1425)

I have the other half for the Glaub right now, but could probably save up that same amount by the time the bass is built.

Went to Willie's today and played an '08 Fender P5. It was pretty good. Pretty fuggin good considering all the new Fenders I've touched. Played it through an Orange AD200 and the Berg NV215.

BEST P SOUND I'VE EVER HAD.

I bought the P new for $1260 and have until Tuesday to bring it back. If I decide to keep it I would get a Jazz pickup installed and a different pickguard for it.

I've had problems with my Mesa in the past blowing fuses, which is why holding out for a USED AD200 (They've gone for $1600 on here) would prove to be a more than sufficient backup.

I'm trying to decide between returning the P and (hopefully) getting the backup amp, keeping the P and having (essentially) a 5 string version of the Lakland I'm ordering, or just keeping the money I have to pay off the Lakland in it's entirety.

What do you think?

Tom

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'd get the Orange. I loved my old Mesa Bass 400, but it was... old. You don't need two P basses. You'll have an amazing one soon enough, take it back and play through some orange-y goodness.

3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Orange! Do it!

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    2008 is a great year for Precisions in my opinion and you might need that low B that your Glaub won't give you.

Then again... TUBES!

5. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    I'm gassin for a P5, so you know my answer...

6. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    You have a wonderful bass coming soon, I'd say take the P back and get an Orange. I say this because I have such GAS for one, and hey I'd love to drool over some pics.

-Benny

7. taterlog

taterlog Guest

Jan 4, 2008
    Mississippi
    Man, that is GAS galore... tough decisions.. I've been to Willie's up there, neat place - hard to walk out with nothing. but sounds like you've got a great bass on the way, so if you just have to buy something else...I'd hit that orange now and pick up a lightly used P5 on down the road.

8. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Stay safe, just in case. And anyway you'll be able to afford the P or Oranhge by the time you get the Lakland.