Fender 1200 pro, mesa boogie big block 750, or mpulse 600. Which one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greendayjustin, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Which amp would you guys choose and why?
  2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    I did choose a Mesa 600. I liked it better than the 750 because it has more power and the tone was a little more to my liking. The 750 has a more raw, aggressive sound that might be more appropriate for modern dropped-D kind of rock. I found the palette of the 600 just slightly more traditional. The difference between the Fender and the Mesas is much more pronounced. Just audition them both, and I'm sure you'll have an opinion one way or the other.
  3. How many watts would the mpulse run at around 8 ohms? The amp runs 600 watts at 4 ohms right?

Thanks for the reply, Justin
  4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    M Pulse 600 is 300W into 8 ohms. You are correct about the 4 ohm rating. The Big Block is less than that, as you probably know.
  5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have an M-Pulse 600 and I chose it over the 750 because it offered more bells and whistles. I've found that, though I rarely use it, I like having the parametric as an additional tool. great compressor (when needed). More than enough power too. I'm not familiar with the Fender but I've heard good things about it. This used to be a Sunn before Fender discontinued it. Look for reviews under that name.

But, am I missing something? If the Big Block has 750 watts, how can it have less power than the 600 (600 watts)?
  6. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I believe the Big Block runs 750 watts @ 2ohms. At 4ohms it'll put out a touch less, can't recall how much off the top of my head.
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I think Smash may be able to pipe in about the Fender head (IIRC, he has the older, Sunn 1200s version, or has played on one).

I have only played through the M-Pulse 600, which I really liked. I was able to dial in a number of great sounds on it very easily when I tried one out. I wouldn't mind owning one of them, but I am currently looking into getting an Eden setup to have as an alternative to my Ampeg rig.