1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 1961 Closet Classic Custom Shop Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mellow yellow, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Hi from Italy,
    after 6 months of testing in the shop I've ended to buy a Fender 1961 Closet Classic Custom Shop Jazz Bass.
    Besides the fact that 1961 is my birth year (I cannot buy a REAL 1961, ok?) the bass looks very gorgeous, to me. the shop had 3 of these basses, 2 black and 1 white, luckily the shop had sold in these months the blackies...so I grabbed the white.
    The bass sounds very very fine, I've a 64 jazz bass custom shop but with Pyramid flats so comparing the two is a bit stupid, but it seems that the 61 sounds better. The 61 has the older vol tone vol tone circuit, they call it stack knobs, not the usual vol vol tone, and I think that the older circuit is way better and more versatile. So a sound that I like so much with the 61 is pickups volume full open, bridge pu tone mid closed, neck pu tone full open, so I have a full robust tone, airy, but not so zingish.
    With the usual circuit vol vol tone I cannot obtain a sound like this, maybe a true jazz sound, with more mids, but different. with the stack knobs circuit it seems that I have more nuances, for sure is not so easy to dial in as the the newer circuit, but I'm wondering why in 50 years the 99% of bass players have chosen the vol vol tone?
    By the way the finish of the bass is stellar, my bass is a closet classic, so it has the distressed nitro, and, most important, the back of the neck is somewhat satin, but not definitely satin, is something that I hope to turn into a vintage look. Surely, way different from the lacquer finish of the 64.
    sorry for my english, good sounds to everyone!
    Ciao
    Roberto

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Congrats on your new bass would love to see some pictures.

3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Probably because the tone knobs are not truly independent. They actually effect one another, most noticeably if both pups are on full volume. The stack knobs typically have a darker less defined tone than the VVT. Its apples and oranges though, whatever youre going for.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

What he said.

5. ...very sad story...yesterday I returned the bass not only because it was lacking the hardware (bridge ashtray, thumbrest, and so on) but very important I discovered it had a wrong certificate of authenticity, it was referred to another 1961 jazz custom shop sold by the shop in december. The shop in this month was very slow to find the other buyer to exchange the certificates. This thing was making me crazy so yesterday I returned the bass to the shop. It wasn't an easy thing, the bass was beautiful sounding and looking and the price tag was reasonable low but something was wrong in this story. The shop owner while admitting the error, surprisingly was trying to minimize, he was trying also to obtain a duplicate of the certificate from fender USA but no, it's impossible. The other buyer seems to have disappeared, so after a month or so I've quitted. I was afraid tha I was never be able to get the correct certificate, so the value of my bass could lower...very very sad story.
    Ciao
    Roberto

6. so, this is an happy ending
    The certificate was back in the shop one month ago and yesterday I've bought the bass.
    I've changed the original strings (that was DR Lo-Rider nickel that I had put when the bass was at my home for a month or so, waiting for the certificate) with 7250M Fender.
    These strings seem well balanced, with a very good mid-high tension, with a soft feel but with strong tone.
    Fender strings are a surprise to me, I never wanted to give them a chance, they seem too cheap to do the job.
    By the way Fender 7250M are stainless nickel plated, as my beloved DR Sunbeams, they have great tone with a softer feel than the pure stainless.
    Ciao
    Roberto

Attached Files:

7. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Roberto -

I'm very glad to hear your story ended positively. So much in life tests our wills. By dealing with a clear head and with humanity towards others, a successful result can be created. - maybe not always, but always worth trying. Enjoy your bellissimo basso. Ciao

8. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit Supporting Member

Nice bass. I've always wanted a stack knob Jazz. Someday. I'm happy with my Road Worn Jazz in the meantime.

Happy to hear everything worked out for you!

9. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    This bass does not exist.

10. Yesterday, when I was buying the 1961, I've checked a road worn jazz, very good instrument and at a very reasonable price.
    The road worn have a very high reputation here in Italy, due to their very high quality/price ratio.
    Buona musica

11. ????

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    A reference to the informal TB rule—"No Pics, No Bass."

13. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    Roberto,

il tuo inglese è molto buono, a differenza del mio italiano.

Arrivederci

14. I've attached a pic to my "happy ending" reply......
    so here is another couple of pics

Attached Files: