Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 1962 reissue vs. original Fender 1974 Jazzbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hoel, Jan 4, 2004.

1. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Hi!

I'm considering changing from my '62 reissue jazzbass to a '74 jazzbass. I don't loose money on it (almost nothing), and they have the same finish-dark sunburst, that I like.

What do you guys think about this? Wake up Treena :D

greetings,

hoel

2. And in this corner weighing at 9lb.s 10 oz. is the reissue 62 Jazz bass. Hailing from a factory in California, we havn't been informed how old it is. Or weather it was custom shop or stock reissue. ..... And in the other corner is a 1974 Fender Jazz bass weighing in at approx. the same weight, and hailing from approx. the region of the world. Now can you beat that. .... Personally it all comes down to feel. Sit down with both basses and close your eyes and imagine you having to spend the rest of your life with one of these basses. Which would it be? .... The 74's pickups are 30 years old. Make sure they're not microfonic yet. You do that by plugging in the bass, turning up the volume and try talking into the pickups. If you hear your voice through the amp, they're about shot, and need to be either rewound or replaced. I'd go with the former. Fender made some awful basses in the 70's, usually those are the ones you see being parted out on Ebay. .. I play a JV 62 reissue I bought 22 years ago. I've a/b'ed it to a 62 Jazz and it was a close second. I installed custom wound 65 J-bass pickups in her and A/B 'ed her to a Sadowsky J-bass, and it was another close second. So, close the guy who owned the Sadowsky wanted my bass. .... So, I guess what I'm saying is don't be easily swayed by the thought of the "grass being greener" if you got the 74, or you may be doing the same thing a year from now,with some other bass.
    Remember what Joe Friday said. "Some 30 year old heffer, who's spent her life in the bars. Getting there before 9pm and going home with the band every night. Just to be cleaned up and put back up on the rack once that band broke up.
    Its not a pretty sight, is it."

3. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    My reissue bass is a American vintage series bass, about 2 years old. I've had some problems with the neck on it.. it's all new so the wood is changing I guess.

The '74 bass will be bought in Sweden, I'm from Norway. I will not get the chance to try both basses at the same time, when/if I'm trying the '74 jazz bass the '62 reissue will be gone.

http://www.vendolin.se/annons.php?56638 <- pic of the '74 jazzbass.

Thanks for answering!

4. Hi
    I can see what your up against. That's a cute 74, and it looks older. Do you know ther serial number off it? ... I had a 68/69 that look just like that, maybe a little more beat up. ... I didn't realize you are in the Neitherlands(sp), which that climate can be worst than the tropics for instruments. And if your having trouble with your reissue I might suggest you 'bite the bullit, and, jump on the boat', and grab hold of the 74. How long has that bass been in the region? .... I live on the great lakes, near Toronto, and there'sa lot of water around me. It can get cold enough in the winter and dripping wet come summer, so, basses tend to do a lot of shifting around here. I'm lucky, my basses move about once a year, then they settle down. ... Climate, ya got'ta have one to survive.
    Good Luck

5. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    I'm pretty sure I wanna sell the '62 reissue, but now I've started to look at this bass: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2369997018&category=38079

It's more money but I guess I will be more satisfied, and I guess it's a safer trade. Chances I get dissapointed with the '74 exist, but I don't think I get dissapointed with an early '64 jazz? Of course I can be....

What do you think that '64 jazz will be sold for? I can use approx. USD $2500. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I find a PRE-CBS jazzbass for that price (refinished tho).

btw, I'm from Norway, not Netherlands, and excuse my bad english. :)

Thanks for answering!

greetings, hoel

6. WOW!!
    It wasn't hard enough when you had two basses that you can not A/B in the same room, to choose from, now you've got a 64 J-bass on your mind. ..... Now start asking yourself some serious questions. How long have you been playing? ..... How old are you? .... Do you hope one day to be a full time player, or will you just make it a fun hobbie and work a day(real) job? .... The word "real" was just a joke. ... In other words is the lure of a 64/74 Fender Jazz bass just that. Or will your playing abilty match the cost's of buying such an instruments. I personally play for a living and I wouldn't take a 1964 Jazz bass to a gig for the fear of being ripped off. And I play in nice places. The guy with the 64 wants to sell it in the USA. I understand there is a high tax on bring instruments into the Neithlands. That's what I've heard. Since the guy with the 64 wants to buy a original 63 Jazz, he'll want at least $2400. US for the 64. If your still interested in the 64 ask the guy about the pickguard and the fact the headstock is painted red and if the decal in original. The pickguard looks pretty clean, for a 64. I guess these are questions you'll have to ask your self before you spend that kind'a $$$$.
    Later

7. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Hi dude, and thanks for answering me

First off, I'm 19 years old and I work as a webdesigner. I make about $ 4-50.000 a year. And btw I'm from Norway, not Netherlands.

If I'd hope I one day would've been a full time player-I would already have been that. I think I will have alot more joy of playing as a hobby, than as a workin' musican. I've done gigs for thousands of peoplem - and I think my playing abilty will match the cost of buying an instrument like this. I want one, so I'll buy one. :)

I've decided I can use $ 2700 on this bass, but nothing more than that. Do you think I will get it for that? Well, time will show

Later

-hoel

8. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Howdy,

I think I'll buy the '74 Jazzbass if I don't get the winner bid on the '64. I also think that the '74 is a very good bass, but I think the '64 will be a 'safer' buy.

I just sold my '62 reissue, almost with tears in my eyes. :p It's so beautiful, dark sunburst.

greetings from Norway,
    Hoel

9. Sorry, I just saw this, I have been away for a few days.

FWIW, the 64' bluebooks for about $3995.00 so the winning price is good on that bass!

I would go for the 74 Jazz bass myself Hoel.

I would be interested in the serial #, it looks older to me, the thumb rest should be above the E string, they moved in 1973, so it looks older to me from the photo you supplied.

Let us know what you decided!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Hi Treena, thanks for answering

Did you mean that the '74 is better than the '64 on eBay?

If everything goes as planned, I get the '64 Jazzbass at ebay.

I'll ask the '74 jazz bass dude about the serial nr.

Later

-Hoel

11. Actually, when I made my post it appeared the auction had been over??

I would purchase the 74 Jazz bass, if you are not the auction winner.......

Did you find out the serial # on the 74?? I'm curious??

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    do you know what youre looking for in a jazz bass sound? a 64 and 74 will sound waaaay different.

13. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    narud: I have not tried many old jazz basses but I have once tried a '65 and I fell right in love with it. It was almost like it was alive in my hands. Magic.

I do not have enough experrience to compare the sound of a '64 and a '74, I just know I fell in love with the '65.

Feel free to inform me about sound characteristics, playability and so on compared to the '74 and other Jazz basses.

Treena: I'm waiting for more pictures of the '74. I can mail them to you if you could PM me your e-mail adress. It would be cool to have your e-mail adress anyways -it's great to know ppl that has the kind of knowledge as you.

Greetings from Norway,

Hoel