Fender 1964 Jazzbass - Eden WT-800: What cabs should I choose?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hoel, Jul 6, 2004.

1. hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    hello :)

I'm playing a Fender 1964 Jazzbass (and a Marcus Miller J-bass) on an Eden WT-800 with two Eden 210T cabs. Great setup, but I don't think the cabinets gives me enough growl. It's like something is missing.

Any recommendations? I want cabinets that are easy to travel with. I've been thinking of 2x Aguilar 1x12" cabs. Maybe that'd do?

greetings from Norway,

2. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    I could ramble on about a lot of things, but honestly, I think the best thing you can do is try and find a store or someone with different cabs you can try out. Theres Aguilar, Bergentino, Epifani, Avatar, Ampeg, Orange (yes they make bass cabs), Genz Benz, SWR, Gallien-Krueger, etc. I think the only way you are going to know you're getting what you're after is to hear it first.

And there are some of the older used goodies out ther like Sunn, and Acoustic. I think every bass player should have the exeperiece of using a vintage 2x15" cab, even if they only do it for one gig. If nothing else, it just teaches you whats out there and allows you to better know YOUR desired sound.

On one last note, some people are very happy by building thier own cabs. You can build cabs to your own specs, or you can build cabs around the specs of your chosen bass driver.
  3. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl

I bought one for $125, even though it doesn't have the original speakers I decided that a tweeterless 2x15" is exactly what I needed to get the tone I want.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    aguilar definitely will not give you the "growl" you're looking for (i assume you're looking for more mids)
    i dont know if you can get them, but i always reccomend bag end 1x15's
  5. hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Hm, it's weird, every 1x15" cab I've tried is not workin' for me (mainly Hartke cabinets :rolleyes: ). The sound gets to "boomy" and non-punchy.

Maybe 12"s would do? I've also thought about Ashdown 1x15" and 4x8". Anyone tried that setup ? :)

greetings from Norway,

6. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    It depends on the cabinet and drivers your using. My 2x15" with JBL D140's will get good and punchy. I know one guy who made his own 2x 1x15" cab setup and it had no punch. I've never played through hartkes of any kind.
  7. Try a BagEnd 410dx.

Really though...witha '64 and a WT800, I think you'd have a hard time finding a cab that doesn't sound good! (Or at least very workable) I've got a '63 and had the Traveler 550...hell I didn't care where I was playing...I could always dial in a musical tone with that setup.
  8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Eden 410-T is VERY growly with any bass I play with.
  9. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    The Eden 210T is one of their sweetest cabs...far more efficient thant the 210XLT. If you are looking for growl, find it first with the setup you have...all other cabs will be a variation of the growl you find naturally with your bass and hands. Here are some suggestions:

EQ. I ran my 800 pretty much flat. If you scoope out the mids, you scoope out the growl. The enhance knob scoopes, as does the eq section. Make sure you are not scooping out the very tones you are looking for. Remember, what sounds good by itself doesn't always sound good with the band.

Experiment with your pickup volumes. Fingerstyle Jaco sounds come from the bridge pickup with a hard attack. Smooth deep sounds come from the neck pickup with a lighter touch. More growl can come from turning your volume knob(s) all the way up and a hard attack. The sound is not as clean, but one man's dirt is another's nirvana. Pickup height is also a factor.

Strings. DR strings to my ears (Marcus Miller set) has a good balance between growl and punch. DR's tend to have a strong midrange "sting" to them...this may be what you are looking for. Try various strings. If you are using steel, try a nickel set or vice versa. Strings are cheap compared to cabs.

I must admit, I've quested after certain sounds by trying different cabs...but all of that goes out the window when you encounter a house PA or play a multiple band gig with a backline rig instead of your own. By knowing how to quickly get YOUR sound with any rig, you will be prepared for anything and always sound like YOU.
  10. hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Thanks for answers :)

I played my WT-800 with a Ampeg SVT 8x10" cab this weekend, and I must say: HOLY SMOKE!

I got just the growl I want. But I've found out it might just be the room me and my band play in at reherseals.

I have the two 210T's on top of a Hartke 1x15" cab (that is not hooked up), and play with the amps EQ pretty flat, with just a tad on the Enhance knob. Both mic's at full at the j-bass.

I like the sound, but I'm not :bassist: , that I was this weekend with the 8x10" ampeg :D