1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 1965 Precision bass thoughts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vincentous, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Vincentous

Vincentous

Mar 13, 2015
    Hello,

I am interested in your opinions guys.

What do you think of the p bass dated specifically to 1965 . I know it is a transitional era for fender. But did the quality dropped ? It's still pre CBS nevertheless, what were the difference let's say comparing a 62 , 63 , 65 , 66 and 67 p basses ? Were the necks the same ? A part from lam and slab board ? The feel, thickness ? Did the electronics change throught the years ? Colour options ?
    Does the 1965 p-bass holds a big value on the market today ?

2. CBS bought Fender in '65, so technicly it isn't pre BS.
    However, it took time for any changes to be made
    and even then there was old stock to be used up.
    If you didn't have a date to work with, you'd be hard pressed
    to find any difference between a '64 and a '65...
    or '66, for that matter.

JIO likes this.
  3. If you're buying it as an investment, post-CBS will not fetch what pre-CBS instruments do but will hold "its" value. Quality isn't likely much different, changes came slow.

4. Vincentous

Vincentous

Mar 13, 2015
    Thank you for your reply.
    I have a fender precision bass made in 1965, was just wondering how collectable it is. What would be their lowest price on the market today?

5. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    "pre BS" :D Jim

6. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    It would depend on condition and originality.
    If both are good or better could be a pretty pricy piece.

7. Vincentous

Vincentous

Mar 13, 2015

On my fender precision bass it says 5 SEP 65 C .

Even though it is post CBS wouldn't it be correct to call it transitional period rather than post ;) ?

I have contacted fender about my bass, and they told me that they don't have any information on my bass because it was a different company back then. Pity But who can ? :)

8. Vincentous

Vincentous

Mar 13, 2015

Neck is in perfect condition, the laquer is not that worn out but does have those lines/ cracks in them. Decal is still in very good condition and it doesn't look like it has a lot of tear and wear.

9. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    A 65 would have been made in the old factory . It was sometime in 66 that the huge CBS factory started operation .

10. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    I would say at least 199.95 and I pay for expedited air shipment and insurance. And throw in a Squier. Can't beat that deal.
    Seriously, somebody will probably want to see some pics before offering an opinion. I'm not knowledgable enough.
    Offer stands though!

11. Vincentous

Vincentous

Mar 13, 2015
    Thank you for your reply, I can't send any photo's now as it's in a repair shop as I needed to put new pots in it and do a general service, pro set up, clean..

Thanks for the offer but I am deffnitely not selling it as I just bought it recently, plus I think I will have it for the rest of my life. :) I hope so.

12. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Bill Whitehurst is right. N.O.S. was still showing up for a number of years after CBS took over.

13. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    If it ever misbehaves let me know. The Squier is very well-mannered.

14. Vincentous

Vincentous

Mar 13, 2015
    Such parts as: same tuners, pots, pickups? Wood that was used correct ?

15. BassShark

BassShark

Feb 16, 2007
    Metuchen, NJ
    '65-'66 was a period of high production for Fender so there wasn't a lot of left over stock. Not much difference between a late '64 and a '65, but an earlier '64 would be a diffferent, more transparent sunburst, black bobbin pickups, and a little different neck shape. All '64s except some of the very last ones would have "clay" (actually made from asbestos floor tiles!) dot inlays. '65 - '66 P basses often tend to have a more aggressive, rock n roll sound, too. I like those.

It's true that P basses (and Telecaster guitars) didn't change much in '66, but it's interesting to note that Jazz Basses (bound necks by Dec. '65), Jaguars, Jazzmasters (bound necks by Oct. '65), and Strats (large headstock by Dec. 65) definitely changed in '66.

16. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    What's the body finish on your '65? Is it sunburst or something else? Does it have a white or tortoise guard?

17. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Make sure you get the old pots back and even the wire if any of it is replaced. You'll want to put that stuff back in if you ever want to sell it.

18. The 65's represent excellent value and great investments as you can buy them for less than a early 60's with no shortcomings in quality. Sure they may be worth less in the future but because you can buy them for less, the net cost of ownership is still a great value and no brainer.

PaperbackRyder likes this.
  19. Vincentous

Vincentous

Mar 13, 2015
    It is a sunburst with tortoise guard