1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 1972 P-bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Detonation, Jun 24, 2007.

1. I saw a P-bass from 1972 for sale here locally, but the owner doesn't know if the pickups are original. I was wondering if anyone here could tell by attached pictures if they've been messed around with, or look original on first sight? I know the pictures aren't very good but maybe it's obvious right away they're not the original ones.

Attached Files:

2. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'd say, "no" upon first glance. The wires should be enamel not cloth.

It would be easier to tell if the coils themselves were original from the bottoms. They do look to be from that era though, I could be surer from seeing the bottom.

I'd view it as an opportunity to work w/ the price as opposed to a deal breaker. That era is fantastic for P's. IMO, you'd be getting the best features of all the decades combined - lightweight, B nut width, Television logo, veneer fingerboard, vintage radius, etc..

3. Thanks for the remark, I've sent the seller an email te see if he can make some close-ups from the bottom. The bass has been refinished (in the original color though, and well done as well), devaluating it, but that only works in my advantage since I'm looking for a player not a collectable :). The price is about $850, maybe I should just go for it.

4. Silas Martinez

Silas Martinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Denver, CO
    at 850, I would probably go for it - assuming that its in good playing condition.

5. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada

+1

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    At first glance I say no too. That wasn't a cloth-wire era for Fender, so at the very least they've been re-wired. I can't remember if my 73 had maroon enameled wire for the bobbins, but my 1968 pickups did.

I also agree that pickups should be looked at from the bottom for more definitive answers.

7. One look at the underneath should tell you.

Pickups from that era should have a date stamp like these ones, if I'm not mistaken.

+1 on the cloth-coating, btw. That's not right for a '70s Fender :meh: . Still, it could be an earlier Fender pickup :) .

Fenderpickups.jpg

8. Appears the picture is from the bottom of the pickups, so they're not original then. Bummer :(

9. $850 is a steal, especially in Europe. If everything else seems OK, and it plays well, buy it.

IMO.

10. +1

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The pickups, the pots and the capacitor are not original to your 1972 P bass.

Original pickups would be gray and date stamped.
    Original pots have solid bottom covers, not open holes, and also date stamped.
    Original capacitor would be an orange/tan-ish colored disc.
    No cloth covered wiring either.

Good price though....

12. Thanks for the replies guys, I know the price is good, but since the finish, pickups and pots are not original I'm not even sure the body is I'm still a bit hesitant. I'm going to can see if I can play it though, very curious how it will play and sound.

Actually, the price is 850 euro btw, but I usually use 1 dollar = 1 euro since the average price of basses in the USA is about the same in dollars as they would be in euros in Europe.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would think that even a refin'ed 72 with replaced electronics could get at least $1500. I might be tempted to buy it if I were you.

14. Probably yeah, I'm just gonna give it a try and if it has no quirks I'll go for it. I'll let you guys know!

15. palmann

palmann

Sep 3, 2006
    Germany
    You said you are a player, so you might want to change the pickups later anyway. I think it's a good offer for a 72 P-Bass. I bought a ,,modified'' (ca. 68er body with 75er neck, replacement knobs) for EUR 500,- 13 years ago. This was before the prices went up. It's one of my main players for years, so I do not regret it, even if it's not original to the last screw. I say, go for it, if you want to play a Precision.

Gruesse aus Deutschland, Pablo

16. Yeah, I bought it! First time ever for me to own a bass older than 15 years :) I know, no pics no bass.. will make some pictures tomorrow :hyper:

Thanks for your replies and insight guys, appreciated, very glad to have bought this puppy!

17. Congratulations man, I'm waiting for those pics!

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Pics!! Pics!!!!!!

19. Here we go!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:hyper:

20. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I think it's a rule that all Fenders be tested on this side of the pond. I'll send you my address ;)

That is one nice looking bass :hyper::bassist:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021