SOLD Fender 1978 Fretless Precision P Bass Guitar, all original w/original Fender hard shell case CLEAN!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by allcanbforgiven, Nov 5, 2017.

1. allcanbforgiven

allcanbforgiven The Lord's Neck Shop

Oct 20, 2015
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Price:
    $1950.00
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    ABOUT THE BASS:
    This is a used 1978 Fender Fretless Precision Bass all original except the strings. It comes with the original case which is in great condition, original inspection card from factory and original owner's manual with matching serial number, and some other rice paper with Fender on it. The rear of the pick guard also has matching serial number sticker underneath. There is no warranty on this bass or warranty card.

A rare Fender, 40 year old P-Bass bass, all original, in this nice of condition.
    Shipping: Free shipping in continental US only, all others please message me where you are so I can give you a shipping cost. The bass alone weighs 11 pounds. The package weighs 32 pounds.

Payment: I can accept PayPal, and I also have a Square to accept credit cards.

CONDITION:
    “BEAUTIFUL, EXCELLENT and VERY CLEAN USED CONDITION FOR ALMOST 40 YEARS OLD. THE STRINGS HAVE BEEN REPLACED WITH FENDER STAINLESS STEEL FLAT WOUNDS. FINGERBOARD SHOWS ONLY VERY SLIGHT MINIMAL WEAR. THE CHROME IS ALL EXCELLENT, SHINY, AND BEAUTIFUL WITH NO OXIDATION. THE BACK OF THE BODY HAS 2 CURVED SLIGHT SCRATCHES ABOUT 1_1/4" LONG THEY ARE NOT THROUGH THE FINISH OR INTO THE WOOD. THERE IS SOME BELT BUCKLE MARKS ON THE BACK BUT NONE ARE THROUGH THE FINISH. THERE ARE TEENY TINY ABRASIONS ALL OVER BUT VERY HARD TO SEE. ON THE CURVE AT THE REAR THERE ARE SOME REALLY SMALL SCRATCHES. ON THE BACK WHERE THE BELT BUCKLE RASH IS THE BODY MUST HAVE SET ON SOME SHEET MUSIC THAT LEFT A SLIGHT IMPRESSION IN FINISH. PROBABLY MOST OF THE ISSUES COULD BE RUBBED OUT OR JUST LEAVE IT LIKE THAT. THE TUNING KEYS SEEM TO HAVE SLIGHT FACTORY BLEMISHES ON THEM, ALL CONSISTENT LOCATION, SIZE AND TYPE WITH EACH OTHER, WERE MADE IN GERMANY. I TRIED TO SHOW PICTURES OF WHAT I MENTIONED. THE TRUSS ROD WORKS CORRECTLY AND THE BASS HAS NICE LOW FRETLESS ACTION.”

The BASS'S History: I bought this bass a couple years ago to compare other basses I had to it so I could try to see what all the Fender hype was about. I bought it from the original owner, a musician in Tennessee who played in the High School jazz band in his Jr and Sr year. He had bought this bass brand new before he graduated in 1978. He continued playing fretted basses throughout his career and never warmed up to the fretless bass. So this fretless bass basically stayed in the case in his closet. He said every once in a while he and his friends might get it out and play around on it and that was about it.

Since I had it, I cleaned it and set it up and hung it on the wall . So now I'm building custom basses to play and really have no use for this bass anymore. I only played it a little maybe 10 minutes, its heavy and hard to play with the chrome covers on it, they get in the way of my fingers.

20171105_071350.jpg
    20171105_071411.jpg 20171105_071705.jpg 20171105_071455.jpg 20171105_071503.jpg 20171105_071625.jpg 20171105_071441.jpg View attachment 2908655 View attachment 2908659 View attachment 2908660 View attachment 2908661 View attachment 2908662 20171105_072005.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. Brutus74

Brutus74 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Ohio
    Very cool.

allcanbforgiven likes this.
  3. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    niiiiiice

4. I love this combination of black body, pickguard and unlined maple neck . Wanted one of these since seeing Stan Sheldon playing one with Frampton in '76.

Went back to buy an identical one from Low End a few years back and Brian had sold it to a Sam Ash dealer at a guitar show.

Just bought a parts build off Ebay with an unlined maple Warmoth neck and pj setup with Wilde Pickups. Been thinking of building one and ran across it. I'd given up on finding one of these because most have rosewood boards-cool but love the maple . Good luck with the sale-wish I could.

5. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    wow. just.... wow. :jawdrop:

6. allcanbforgiven

Oct 20, 2015
    Blacklick, Ohio
    It looks better in real life!
    For what its worth, I have a perfect score on a different sales site for customer service.

7. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    dream bass

TN WOODMAN and allcanbforgiven like this.
  8. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Beautiful! Wish I could but I'm a million years away from that sort of expense these days.

It's almost a shame it hasn't been played much.

9. allcanbforgiven

Oct 20, 2015
    Blacklick, Ohio
    It's true, it is a huge shame I'm not going to and this bass has not been played very much. I wanted to play it some but it is too nice and Im afraid of hurting it, its also pretty heavy. I have a dozen or so other basses that keep me pretty busy, along with buidling a couple custom monsters. The chrome also gets in my way so i would have to take them off and play. Thanks for your interest and post. bill

10. wow - that is special

11. allcanbforgiven

Oct 20, 2015
    Blacklick, Ohio
    So, you inspired me to have a session in my home, i removed the ash trays and gave her a half hour, she has a nice little growl! 20171225_125953.jpg

kobass and DR Burkowitz like this.
  12. allcanbforgiven

Oct 20, 2015
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Here is the ashtrays, i believe it came with foam rubber in the bridge cover! 20171225_125907.jpg

DR Burkowitz likes this.
  13. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Lovely bass. It would have had flats from the factory, originally. No rounds on the standard basses until around '83.

14. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Wow even more impressive without the ashtrays!
    She's a beaut!

15. allcanbforgiven

Oct 20, 2015
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Thank you FranF for the string information, I just checked the owner`s manual and the information I had wrote was not in there, so I was in error about the round rounds. I must have read it in one of the newer owners manuals as this 1978 owner's manual does not mention the string type so I edited the description accordingly.

16. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    WOW absolutely stunning. GLWTS

17. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Jaw dropping gorgeous!

18. Dear Fender,

Please bring this model back.

19. allcanbforgiven

Oct 20, 2015
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Please Don't Fear, I just made my first Talkbass transaction and received good feedback. I sold a 1997 Fender Jazz, No-line Fretless conversion, with Bartolini's and all blacked out. I do not know the buyer and have never met him until that transaction. So please check my feedback and consider this awesome piece of history! I added some more pictures of the pups and pots to the first thread. Thanks you! bill

20. Richie Se7en

Richie Se7en Presently distractivated Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Shadow of South Philly
    That's a very cool bass, my friend!
    I wish I didn't have about 11-12 too many right now... or could at least play worth a damn to justify having even one. :meh:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2021