SOLD Fender 1982 walnut Precision Special

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by muggsy, Feb 8, 2019.

1. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Price:
    Strings:
    This is my oldest bass, and the one I've had the longest. 1982 Precision Special with black walnut body and neck. Can go active or passive with the switch by the input jack, and I believe this was Fender's first foray into active electronics. If you have the book "The Fender Bass, An Illustrated History" this model is featured on page 77. Extremely rare, back when I used to frequent the Fender Forum the consensus was that Fender made less than 200 of these. According to the book, they only made them for one year before the model was redesigned into the Precision Elite.

The neck is phenomenal, measures 1 5/8" at the nut and has a maple skunk stripe on the back. Frets in great shape. Everything original AFAIK except the input jack, which I had replaced a couple of years ago. Has strap locks in the pics but I have since put the original strap buttons back on. I will throw in a set of Schaller strap locks because I don’t have any other basses with gold hardware. Body and neck are very clean, there are scratches in the clear coat and on the pickguard, as you'd expect with a 37-year old bass, but nothing through to the wood. Back of the body is clean, it looks scuffed in the pics but that was sun glare because I suck at taking pictures. It's strung with TI flats that are at least 15 years old, but they continue to get better with age. Weighs 10.4 lbs on my bathroom scale, not light but not nearly as heavy as some other 70s and 80s Fenders I've played, and it sounds huge. Comes with Fender hard case, a bit beat up on the outside and one latch is slightly bent, but it works. Don't know if this is the orginal case because I'm not the original owner, but it's the case it came with when I bought it. I've seen some of these for sale with tweed cases that were supposed to be original.

EDIT: Found this great site with detailed info, pics and schematics on the Precision Special (Fender Precision Special Bass 1980 - 1982). Scrolling to the bottom there are three pics of a case that looks just like mine, so it may well be the original case. That site also confirms that Fender only made 200 of the walnuts.

Selling only because it doesn't get played enough and I'm not a collector. Interested in trading for a Fender Custom Shop P, ideally a Pino but will consider others, +/- cash as needed. Asking $2800 shipped in the continental US, Paypal OK. Happy to take more pics or answer questions, just ask. Thanks for looking!

IMG_3816.JPG IMG_3817.JPG IMG_3815.JPG IMG_3820.JPG IMG_3823.JPG IMG_3836.JPG IMG_3837.JPG IMG_3838.JPG IMG_3839.JPG IMG_3840.JPG IMG_3821.JPG IMG_3818.JPG IMG_3831.JPG IMG_3833.JPG IMG_3834.JPG IMG_3835.JPG IMG_3830.JPG IMG_3811.JPG walnut back.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    R&B, TideSwing, Reedt2000 and 12 others like this.
  2. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Looks outstanding. Bet it sounds even better.

JMacBass65 and muggsy like this.
  3. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Thanks! It does sound great, active or passive. Had some other strings when I got it, but once I installed the TIs, it was all over.

JMacBass65 and JZQuantum like this.
  4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I bought one of these when they were first released. Outstanding build quality, comparable to high-end Custom Shops IMO.

Best of luck with the sale, whoever buys it won't be disappointed.

JMacBass65 and muggsy like this.
  5. 2GodBGlory

2GodBGlory

May 20, 2017
    I keep coming back to this one!
    I guess 'cuz I just LOVE the walnut!

muggsy and ajkula66 like this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I usually despise gold hardware. I give it a pass on the beauty right there. It all just works. Such a great looking piece.

2GodBGlory, muggsy and JMacBass65 like this.
  7. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Thanks! Actually, I agree with you about the gold hardware. Not generally a fan, but it looks right on this one.

Racerwoody likes this.
  8. 2GodBGlory

2GodBGlory

May 20, 2017
    I wish I were a collector with a big budget...
    Man, I love this bass!
    Someone buy it so I stop looking at it!!!

Bill Whitehurst and muggsy like this.
  9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Always loved this model and this is such a pristine example!
    GLWTS!

muggsy likes this.
  10. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I wish you were too. :D I'm in no rush though, just trying to get out of the mindset of holding onto stuff I don't use. Crazy, right?

11. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Really cool, rare bass! I've only ever seen one of these and it was nowhere near as clean as this. I'm not a Pbass guy and I've only played 5-string for years now but I want this one just because!

GLWTS

muggsy likes this.
  12. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Still available. I've had some interesting trade offers, and thought I had a local sale lined up last weekend but it fell through. Buyer still claims to be pulling the funds together, but we shall see.

My primary trade preference would be a Custom Shop Pino Palladino P, with additional cash on my end to make it work. I will consider other similar-era
    (1959-62) Custom Shop P basses, +/- cash as appropriate. Or I'd be happy to sell it and use the proceeds to buy a used Pino when one pops up.

13. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Sale pending.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021