Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 1996 50th Anniversary Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by register2, Feb 4, 2004.

1. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    Hi, I was just wonder about the 1996 Fender Anniversary Jazz Bass - colors, scale, pickups, tuners. Any info? Is it string through? Graphite in the neck? Thanks a lot!

2. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    Also, if anyone has pictures, that would really help me out! Thanks!

3. Hey, I have one. To be honest, there is no difference between it and another year of jazz basses that I can see. It does come with a gold sticker on the back of the headstock that says "50 years of fender" or somethin like that. Really no difference I can find.

4. Yeah, I don't think it was anything out of the ordinary, besides the sticker. It was for Fender's 50th anniversary. The 2001 50th anniversary P-bass was actually different, as it's apparently better built. We'll have to wait another 7 years for a 50th Jazz.

5. Yeah, I've got one too and it's pretty much a standard American Jazz with some pretty looking hardware. Farely useless B-string but I like the rest of it.

6. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    :confused: wait a second...are you talking about the limited edition jazz basses or the ones with the normal serial ?

mine is one of 500,has maple top and it's bigger then most jazz basses (quite heavy) - but has a killer sound.

the standard ones had a sticker with fender 50th anniversary and had a graphite reinforced neck.

check out mine :

7. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    Hello! I've got A 1996 Fender Jazz Bass V Limited edition # 073 of 500 made. I've seen Fender basses on ebay claiming it was a Anniversary bass, but every instrument from fender had the 1946-1996 anniversary sticker on the headstock, don't be fooled!
    Specs on the "real" anniversary basses guitars: Limited edition of 250, 500, or 1500 (depending on model) Serial number engraved in neckplate ( mine says JV073 of JV500 )
    Gold hardware
    Flame maple top + back
    only one color was offered: Antique sunburst
    I've added a picture of the complete collection:
    View attachment 36161
    (the neckplate is from my bass)
    and one of my bass,
    View attachment 36162
    the pickguard on my bass has been removed by me because it's full of autographs wich I want to preserve.
    Please check www.fcbass.tk for more pics!
    F.C.

8. FC Bass

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    O yeah, Exar Kun tune that B string up, I've got mine tuned 1/2 tone under D (D-flat?) for slayer songs in our setlist. Works/sounds great!

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    register2,

There was nothing specially made or different about the 1996 MIA Fenders. All MIA Fenders made in 1996 got a 50th anniv sticker on the back of the headstock to commemorate Fender's 50 years in business.
    The Jazz Bass is not even 50 yrs old yet.

10. FC Bass

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    ...And the Jazz Bass was invited to the party!
    Read and learn:
    1996 marked the 50th Anniversary of the Fender company (1946-1996),
    and in celebration Fender produced a limited edition anniversary series
    of the following instruments
    (along with the total number of instruments made):

50th American Standard Stratocaster (2,500)
    50th American Standard Stratocaster Left Handed (250)
    50th American Standard Telecaster (1,250)
    50th American Standard Precision Bass (500)
    50th American Standard Jazz Bass (500)
    50th American Standard Jazz Bass V String (500)
    View attachment 36394

Text from the 1996 Fender press release:
    Exclusive features on these once in a lifetime instruments
    include: gold plated American Standard hardware,
    highly figured maple veneer top and back, Antique Sunburst finish,vintage pickups and electronics, white plastic parts,
    and black tolex vintage case with orange plush interior and vintage Fender nameplate. In addition, each model is equipped with a specially engraved neck mounting plate with the Fender 50th Anniversary logo and limited edition serial numbering (i.e., 1 of 2,500).
    A definite must for every collection!

Another example of neckplate:
    View attachment 36395

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

11. FC Bass

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    I forgot to mention: The bridge is strings through body only
    (I think on newer mia Fenders you can choose between stb or topload)

12. Sheldon681

Sheldon681

Mar 26, 2008
    Ottawa
    Does anyone know what the fretboards were make of on the Jazz V? I would think rosewood, but in the pictures the color looks a lot lighter than in the other instruments. Thanks!

13. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Pao Ferro.

14. Bill G.

Bill G.

Dec 2, 2005
    Baton Rouge