Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 1x15 cab, barely used, $250, sounds pretty good -- would you hit it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    My DB teacher is selling a Fender cab that he's been using with his electrics (70's fretless Fender P/J and a really great sounding franken-P) for $250. I know he's a really honest guy and a great teacher, but not too familiar with EB gear so I don't know if the price is reasonable -- sounds like a good deal to me, though.

I can't find anything on the Fender site that resembles it -- it's before the new Bassmaster series, so it's got the regular Fender logo on it instead of the new blocky industrial gross one. No casters, big deep dish handles, not too heavy (significantly lighter than my Yorkville XS400) and IMO, it sounded really nice. We set it up with his GK head and GK 2x10, and I used his franken-P which is similar to my Samick. It added a lot of thickness and bottom to the sound, but not boomy -- really nice, overall.

As far as I can tell, there's no horn. It's an 8 ohm cab, pretty big but easy to carry due to nice handles and it being pretty light, feels very solid, looks great. He says it's barely been used, which I very much believe -- he almost never plays EB live (he's 90% DB) in the kind of volume settings that would require him to use two cabinets like that.

I would be using this as an extension cab for my Yorkville XS400 (with the 1x15 in it,) using a Yamaha Fretless BB404F and a Samick P/J with SD pickups and an OBP-3 preamp. At my next lesson I'll be bringing my Yorkie and my Samick so I can try it out with my OWN gear, but I was wondering if you guys had any input.

2. I'm using a borrowed one at home w/a Mesaa/Boogie D-180. It sounds pretty good at in-home volumes, but I haven't used it on a gig. I wouldn't call $250 a screamin' deal for that cab.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That's high for that cab. Another $50 and your into Eden/Aggie/Bergie/ Bag End territory in the used market ... That cab is no better than an Avatar ... (not that there is anything wrong with the Avatar mind you ...)

4. If it's a BXR, it's sub-Avatar quality, IMO.
    Oh, yeah- I would NOT hit it; got one already. ;)

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that's $250 CANADIAN! It's about $202 USD.

Should I offer $200 CAD for it?

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    ...bump

Seems to be I'd be better off saving up another $100 and dropping it on something nicer like and Eden or Aguilar.

7. Many times I have grabbed something that was a fairly good deal, but not really much of an upgrade. My attitude now is to be patient & wait for the absolute right thing, otherwise I'm spinning my wheels.