Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 2002 American Delux Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Aug 25, 2002.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Fender discontinued the "American Deluxe Jazz"

They now list the "American Deluxe Jazz 2002" model.

From the pix I've seen they look identical except I've ran across a couple of still new, unsold, "discontinued", old models that are being sold at "clearance" prices and I'm thinking of buying one.

Does anybody know what the difference is between the two models (old vs. 2002)?

Thanks

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i guess the new 18v preamp.

3. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Ahhhh. So the older model must be 9volt. Thanks.

4. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The bolt plate for the the neck is different as well. I have the new Deluxe, this year. The plate allows for them to cut away a bit of the body so you can access the higher frets easier. Other than that and the 18 volt I think that's it. I dropped a j-retro deluxe in mine recently which made it sound tons better and much more versatile. I may change out the pickups too. Not sure yet.

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Thanks. I've also been seeing this "J-retro" mentioned alot. Not being a Fender guy I'm not that up on it. Are there different features (as compared to the Fender active electronics) or does it simply just sound better? I tried a American Deluxe in a Guitar Center and really liked the tone already.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member