1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 2012 quality control?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rman12321, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My new 2012 Fender american standard V precision bass came into today and right out of the box new it had many scratches on it, and the pickups seemed to have had its protective film peeled off, and a few of the pole pieces on the pickup had some kind of coating scraped off. Not to mention that the 4 bolts to for the neck, 1 of them is black and 3 of them are silver.

Is this normal for a brand new MIA p bass out of the box? I saw the guy at the store take it out of the box so I know it shipped from fender.

Should I take it back to the store? I feel bad taking it back to the store because i've already returned like 3 basses because of terrible quality control...

2. That sounds more like a total lack of quality control!

3. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    where did you get it form... i find hard to believe that 3silver/1 black neck screws would come from the factory... I have 2 2012 jazz AMDLX necks on my builds that are damn good in all respects.

4. I got it from long and mcquade here in canada, the screw is not like completely black, but for sure is a different color than the rest

5. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Pics?

6. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    2012 American Standard Jazz bass received last month in perfect condition. A few scratches on the plastic film over the pickguard but I guess that's what it is there for - once peeled off the pickguard was in perfect condition.

Sounds like you have had bad luck or somebody else has been having a 'play' before putting it back in the box?

7. the pole pieces, they look very dull and you cant see a mirror reclection in them you know what i mean? but 2 of the pole pieces it looks like the dull has been scraped off and you can feel that its been scraped off and under is mirror shiny and i can see the reflection of the string groove in that one spot that has been peeled off

8. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Hold on a minute. Somethings not right here. You say it came straight from Fender because you saw the store employee take it right out of a box that was shipped straight from Fender?

So why would you even have taken that bass home if it was in the condition you describe? Why wouldn't you have looked it over at the store, especially since you CLAIM you've returned 3 others before this over QC issues? I'd have been looking this one over with a magnifier before I even left the store with it.

So this is the fourth straight bass you've received that you've had to return huh? Well I guess you must either be one of the unluckiest guys on the planet, extremely fussy and difficult to please or a bald faced liar. I just call bs on this whole post.

Your story makes no sense. This is nothing more than a troll post just to stir up more crap about Fender's QC. You must be able to come up with a better story than this. Sorry, try again next time. :eyebrow:

9. Listen here buddy, I am not a troll. Why did I take the bass home? because I was waiting on this bass since april because of a QC issue with my 2011 american standard precision 5 string. I didnt have to pay for this new one because I already paid or my 2011 so it was a direct swap, and I had to get home early today so I didnt take it out of the case until I got home.

10. Because when I had my 2011, I contacted them and they still haven't got back to me so I dont see a point in telling FMIC directly

11. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    No you listen here and I'm not your buddy. Nice try but I still call BS. You just had to get home early today, this day in particular, so you couldn't take 5 minutes to look this bass over?

This is fourth bass they've sent you and you had QC issues with the first three but no time to check this one out huh? So why not just wait to pick it up when you did have the time to look it over? :rollno:

Well then you're either a liar or a complete fool so which is it? And of course either of the above in addition to being the unluckiest guy on the planet. You may want to keep an eye peeled for black cats too. :rolleyes:

12. 2 of the basses before were ibanez ones made in indonesia, so i can understand bad quality control. Fender is made in America and I expect well made without and flaws in quality control. I know that some lemons get by like my first fender but I didnt expect a second. And wow.. up until now this forum has been very helpful, but jerks people like you just ruin it.

13. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    *brings out the popcorn*

14. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    This!! ^ ^ No pics , no defective bass!

:D

15. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Par for the course with Fender....

16. benjychan

benjychan

Aug 30, 2010
    I can't help but think that this issue could have been resolved if you had just refused to accept the bass there and then. It's well within your rights to refuse a defective product; especially one with the problems you've described.

Simply taking a guitar out of a sealed box means nothing - certainly does not show that it's from FMIC. If your dealer said nothing about the condition of the instrument even after seeing it - I'm assuming you spoke to your dealer about the issues - then I doubt that's a place you'd want to visit again.

All in all, it's hard to believe that the problems you stated are genuine as they really smack of incompetence that's simply not been evident or extremely rare for the american made fenders. I can totally understand the sentiments of the other posters. They are not insulting you - it's just very difficult to believe that fender somehow 'ran out of proper and matching screws' and that they shipped out a guitar with a multitude of scratches.

Ask your dealer about it - if they've any semblance of decency, they'd be alright with sending it back for a replacement.

17. Rman12321 // I recommend you to go to the store immediately and explain just as it is. All the fender dealer has warranty and they have right to return for wrong and blemish instrument to Fender.
    Also One more recommendation for you is to inspect any instrument when you buy although it's new from store or whatever. Cuz that sometimes happens.
    And this TB's always helpful and "soulman969" wanted to help you too.
    Good luck and hope to see your feedback again.

PS) What store is it ? All the TB around your local can help, either.

18. DrDano

DrDano

Aug 24, 2009
    Shawnee KS
    Take it back. That easy! Things cost to much not just a Fender Bass. Quality should not be this bad on anything unless it's a cheap P.O.C. of anything. Take it back and NEVER take anything your not happy with!

19. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    And let the Fender bashing begin!

20. Zanpa

Zanpa

Sep 26, 2010
    Kaiserslautern
    All the Fender QA guys are busy ensuring the top quality of Squier guitars. Ha!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.