1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 2012 SKB cases and strap locks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by davidjackson, Aug 20, 2012.

1. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    Hi guys,

I have a 2012 Fender AmStd Jazz bass that sleeps and travels in one of those cool SKB moulded cases. I have been looking at fitting some strap locks but am a bit concerned that if I do it won't fit the moulded case anymore. I am looking at using these locks:

http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?subm...ceComparison&gclid=CMG-htXU9bECFUYPfAodUFEAPQ

Do any of you guys have any experience here? Could anybody recommend a strap lock system that means my Jazz bass will definitely still fit the SKB moulded case once they are fitted?

The reason I ask is that I have read some reviews online that say these Fender strap locks are over an inch and so too big.

Thanks.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've never used those particular locks (I'm a Dunlop guy) but I've never heard of a bass not fitting in a case because they were installed. Usually, they are roughly the same profile as the standard strap buttons.

Just remove the strap before you put the bass in the case. That's where the big part of the strap lock is attached.

3. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    Thanks bassgod0dmw - that's a help. I've never used straplocks before.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The strap buttons (the part that attach to the bass) might stick out a little further than the stock ones, but the styrofoam in the case will mold very quickly.

Have a look at the Dunlop Dual Design and the Schaller strap locks before you get those. I'm not saying anything bad about them, but most of us here use the Dunlops or Schaller.

5. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    Those look alot like the Hennessy locks I just picked up:
    http://www.hennesseyguitarparts.com/NSL7200_List.pdf

If they are, then these are awesome locks. They won't let the strap go. At all. I tugged a little too hard on the strap this morning and it pulled the entire pin out of the bass, still in the lock. These locks will hold onto your strap better than your bass can hold onto the pins.