1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 215 Pro series cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by idoru, Apr 3, 2009.

1. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    g'day guys,

there's been a bit of interest in the new Pro series Fender amplification. For those who don't know, the 215 Pro is a ported 2x15" + horn cab (with tweeter attenuation), 800 Watts RMS / 4 ohms.

I'm increasingly becoming a fan of old-school tone, so I ordered one on April 1st. It came in the next day, so far I've only had about 20 minutes instore with it, so here are my initial thoughts.

Although I'll eventually be getting a TB-600 head, all we had in the shop was the current Bassman 250 head to test it with. I dialled the tweeter totally off, plugged in a USA Standard P & let it rip.

In a word: beautiful. Plenty of highs even without the tweeter, and bottom end to die for. Like a bass should sound, if you listened to any music from the 70s. Rolling off the P's tone knob all the way gave a monstrous woolly dub sound, something I'm looking forward to doing at gigging volumes!

Dialling the tweeter to half way, and hitting the P's S1 switch gave me a nice slap tone - not razor sharp, but definitely slap. Not what I got it for, but I just figured I'd make the point that these are nowhere near as one-dimensional as many people would make out. A little bit of hiss came out of the tweeter (I was sitting right in front of it), but my Goliath Jr II was much worse for that before I disconnected the sorry thing.

So, the big test: getting it out of a suburban shopping centre, into my car (a compact Toyota Corolla station wagon) & out again into the garage at home. No worries: the tilt back casters run nice and smooth, and the handles are at just about the right height in transit. I was able to wheel the cab down a long ramp without much effort and no sense that it was about to get away from me.

Getting it into the car was MUCH easier than my old Trace Elliot 1248H due to the slide rails on the back. Just edge the cab up to the back of the car, crouch down and lift/tip (with a straight back!) and it'll go over nice and easy. There's handles on the bottom that make it a piece of cake to maneuver. If I turn mine sideways when I put it in, it fits perfectly behind the rear seats. Getting it back out was even easier.

10/10 for designing this thing to compensate for the weight - moving that old Trace around was absolutely terrible in comparison. I am SO looking forward to getting this into a jam room, or better yet, out on a gig - further reviews when I do!

Can't wait to get my hands on a TB-600 head, for that matter :)

c-

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I wouldn't hesitate to put that cab on a short list, if I were looking for a new cab.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Nice.
    I've been gassing for this cab also.

This or a Markbass classic 2x15.

Both are nice.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have been able to spend some time with both the 610 Pro and the 215 Pro. The build quality and apparent durability are very, very high. These things are made to take a beating. They are quite heavy, though, but they do have handles/wheels/protection in all the right places.

Tonally, they are both very big, deep, powerful, and clear. The 610 is not as punchy as some 6x10's, but more open and clear. Really good stuff, though of course, not for everyone. The heads (and the TB 600C combo) are also really well made, high-performing products, IME/IMHO.

Tom.

5. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    What exactly is a " diamond plated kick plate" ?

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    A steel plate on the back of the cab, near the bottom, that you put your foot up against when you tilt the cab back to roll it on the casters. There is a raised diamond pattern on the steel to give it some texture.

Here is a shot of the back of the 610:

[​IMG]

Tom.

7. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    My back is hurting already, but it does look like a beautiful cab. Wonder if neos are an option? Also, I'm wondering if, when laid on it's back, the attenuator dial is recessed enough to not come into play when shoved in the back of an suv.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Not currently.

9. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Are there really handles on the bottom?

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Yes.

11. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    And the attenuator dial does,nt get crushed when laid on it's back and shoved?

12. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    The I/O panel is totally recessed, so the dial is in no danger.

In regards to the weight of the cab - I'm a little guy, at around 68 kg / 150 lb, and I can handle it no worries at all :)

The handles on the bottom are spring loaded & retractable.

c-

13. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Thanks for all the quick answers. It really is tempting!

14. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Fender has really made some giant steps foward in their bass gear since they acquired SWR.
    The new "pro line" Fender bass amps I've been able to play through have been great sounding.
    I'm just wondering how Fender's latest price increases are going to affect sales on their new amps.
    Tom, really looking foward to your review on Fender's 610.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    I'll have a full review of the TB 600C (2x10 combo) in the soon to be released issue #3, and I am hoping to follow up with a look at the 610, 215, and TBN 1200 a bit later.

16. Has anyone been able to compare the Fender 215 Pro to other 215's?
    I would like to try one in the worst way but finding 215's -- even used 215's --
    is very difficult in my neck of the woods.

17. Bought one recently and it's the best cab I ever had! What an amazing sound does this thing produce.. massive low-end, clear mids and highs and even a usable tweeter (although I don't need it)

And the best thing is.. it doesn't lose that classic rocktone that I love..

I used quiet a few cabs (Hartke 4.5XL, Ampeg 810e, Ampeg 810 straight back, Ampeg 410HLF, Peavey 2x15", Peavey 1x15" just to name a few), but this one knocks em all out...

Love it!

18. I went for the 215 Pro. I love it.
    And I even have a Bassman 250 and USA P Bass with the S1 switch
    as described in the very first post in this thread. How weird is that?
    What are the odds of encountering two identical setups on
    opposite sides of the planet?

IMG_5465s.

19. mentalpatient

mentalpatient Banned

Jun 23, 2009
    mental institutionzs
    Do you think this cabinet would get into the back seat of AU Falcon ?

20. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I really like my Orange 15, but I'd sure like to have a go-round with that Fender. Dig the antique gold P, too!