Fender 2x15 Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by until.tomorrow, Jun 13, 2003.

1. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    I have the chance to get a cheap 2x15 cabinet that has the silver front and that the back comes completely off but without speakers.

I am getting the volume of the cabinet in order to correctly determine the rigth speakers to put in. Although my main question is would this cabinet be all lows? I know it is 2x15 which will have lows but will there be any mids and highs(I don't want to loose the lows when i go high on the neck)? I'm sure it all depends on the speakers that you put into the cabinet but will i need to mount a horn or tweeter anywhere?

So what are some brands of speakers that with a 2x15 setup would be good for lows with a range of mids and highs.

Any other information on building a speaker cabinet or choosing the correct speakers would be a great deal of help.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Sounds like an old Bassman or Showman cabinet.

No, they are not very deep sounding, at least not with the factory speakers! Total box volume is on the small side to get real deep low end extension.

Those cabs were offered with optional JBL D-130 speakers, so any driver similar in spec to a D-130 would be a good match.

How cheap is cheap? I wouldn't pay over $50 for an unloaded Fender cab.
  3. My Fender Bassman 2x15 cab, probably from early to mid 70's, is front-loaded (the back does not come off, you take the front grill off and unscrew the drivers). And the grill is black, with gold trim.

I agree, $50 unloaded is really not a good price.

Sound is OK but not great, though the drivers aren't JBL on mine.

Frankly I would pass on getting this cab. Now a good condition old Sunn 2x15...THAT's a different story (got one of 'em)....