Fender 3 way toggle switch install?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by descendent22, Apr 6, 2016.

1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    image.jpeg
    This is my fender active deluxe p bass special. I posted about this subject before but this time I gotta be more clear. If your looking at the bass, the second knob from the right is my pickup select knob. I want to remove that and add a 3 way toggle switch instead. How do I do it, can I do it, and what switch do I use if I can? Please leave some info.

2. You need a SPDT center-on switch. Any low amperage switch will do, but it would be best to choose a Gibson style toggle switch, as they are designed for this purpose.

3. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    I have a Switchcraft Gibson style 3 way in one of my P/J's (the L shaped one), works great, it does require a larger hole in the pickguard, it's worth the +$ imo, over cheaper closed switches. the L shape is a close fit on my 3 knob P/J, (2 knobs now) but, perfect, measurements are available online, Switchcraft makes those in straight long, straight short, and L shape long configurations, all are larger than a pot.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  4. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I have have a small mother board type thing and a preamp as well. I'm usually good with mods and repairs but this is something I haven't seen before. I wondering if I should send it to a tech. I need more info.

5. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Pics?

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Any 3 position on/on/on toggle will work fine. Its a very simple diagram

Yours is active, but the diagram is the same up to the volume pot.

[​IMG]

7. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    image.jpeg
    That's the pickup selector pot, I'm confused. Is the black one a ground?theres so much going on

8. That is a blend pot, not a pickup selector. You may want to consider adding a fixed resistor, parallel to the signal path, to make up for the resistive load that you are going to lose by removing the blend pot. The bass may be noticeably brighter when you remove the blend pot, and this is desirable to some, and undesirable to others.

In any case, the black wires are grounds. You should be able to see what each wire is, without issue. There are two inputs, an output, and a couple of grounds.

9. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    How is it a blend pot when all the way rolled up is p pickups, back is jazz pickup, and middle is both? Theirs no blending going on. unless I'm not understanding

10. Blend pots and pickup selector switches are fundamentally different, even if you have some problem that makes them seem like they have a similar function. A blend pot is two volume pots in inverse parallel, that allow you to pan between two sources. A pickup selector is a switch that switches between the two sources, giving only the options of "on" and "off."

11. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    image.jpeg Did a little research on this and the pot is actually called " dynamic selector". The tone control description it comes with tells what pickup your using by using words like middle-both. It's not a blend . I apreciate your help. Either way I got some work ahead of me

12. You can give it whatever fancy name you want, but at the end of the day, it's a blend pot. Your pictures confirm it.

13. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014

I would listen to @line6man

14. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Alright cool, that's why I ask. I'm not disagreeing at all. Just trying to be 100% acuurate

15. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    What exactly is a fixed resistor?

16. It's like a pot, but without any adjustability. It opposes electricity by converting it into a small amount of heat.
    515c7a2bce395f653d000002.png

17. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I've decided that I'm going to install the toggle switch and remove the knob. ( nice little Saturday project ) I am going to take your advice and use a fixed resistor as well.. My one question because I'm not familiar with it is, where does it go? Where do I install it?

18. Put it parallel to the volume pot.

19. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I'm going to say try it without the resistor first, you might like it better and it's simple to add it after the fact.

line6man likes this.
  20. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Not only that, it's more authentic since P basses normally don't have that.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022